DirectAccess 2012 R2 NLS on Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am looking to install NLS server on Azure. Is it possible? Can you point me to some additional info or guides.

Thank you!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:35 AM

All replies

• In lack of details in your question, here's some advice.

If you have DirectAccess it means that you have a DA server on-premises.

Then it shouldn't be to hard to either deploy DA with NLS locally on the DA server or install IIS on another server on your internal network.

The entire idea with the NLS is that it is only reachable on your internal network in order to ensure that clients can identify if they are on corporate network or not.

What is your plan to achieve that in Azure? Site to site VPN?

I'd say that you are out of bounds of what is supported in the product meaning that this is something that the product group never tested and cannot guarantee that it works.

Why would you want to do this?

Hth, Anders Janson Enfo Zipper

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

As anders, I'm a little bit sceptical about your request.

From a purely technical point of view it will work if you plan to use a IIS located on a VM on Azure. Don't expect to use Azure Web sites to host NLS as this NLS will be reachable from Internet. So DirectAccess would be disabled for  DirectAccess clients. Only scenario it would work is for a NLS web site hosted on a VM that you can reach throught you Azure IPSEC Gateway. If you are loosing your Azure IPSEC Gateway, your DirectAccess clients located on LAN will have problem. They will be trying to reach the DirectAccess Gateway.

BenoitS - Simple by Design http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/simplebydesign/default.aspx

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:55 PM