none
Customization of APP-V Adobe Reader disappears for APP-V PDF files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have customized APP-V Adobe Reader 10 application (online activity and auto updates are disabled). When we open “local” PDF documentation everything works fine. If we open PDF files from APP-V application (for example, shortcut to PDF file of APP-V application) all customization disappears (online activity and auto updates are enabled again).

Also if local PDF file was launched first then APP-V PDF file cannot be launched, the following massage appears: "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found." (Using PARAMETERS="/N" didn't help.) In case APP-V PDF file was launched at first then local PDF file was launched successfully but also without customization of APP-V Adobe Reader. It seems that APP-V Adobe Reader cannot be opened with different settings.

Could you please advice how to resolve this problem?

1. We work on Windows 7 x64 and use App-v 4.6.1.
    2. We have created inter-package dependency using “Application Virtualization Dynamic Suite Composition Tool”
    3. We have tried to install customized Adobe Reader locally. There is the same behavior with opening APP-V PDF files – all customization is reset.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:08 PM

All replies

• I'm a bit confused. You have a local version of Adobe that works differently to the sequenced version?

Try following this:

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/virtualising-adobe-reader-x/

Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:16 PM
  • No, PDF documents from APP-V applications are opened with missed customization both with locally installed Adobe Reader and with APP-V Adobe Reader.

At the same time customization of settings for Adobe Reader remains unchanged when locally saved PDF documents are opened (both with locally installed Adobe Reader and with APP-V Adobe Reader).

• Edited by Reader_ Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:54 PM
  • So, it's as though when you open a PDF which you saved in your APP-V Sequenced version of Adobe which at the time of saving does not have those menu options available, you get those menu options in the corner of Adobe Reader?

Are you sure that your APP-V Sequenced version of Adobe Reader has these options disabled?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:13 PM
  • So, it's as though when you open a PDF which you saved in your APP-V Sequenced version of Adobe which at the time of saving does not have those menu options available, you get those menu options in the corner of Adobe Reader?

Are you sure that your APP-V Sequenced version of Adobe Reader has these options disabled?

Yes, I am. When I launch App-v Adobe Reader via shortcut from Start menu there are no unnecessary menu items and auto updates are disabled.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Compare the HKLM\Software\Policies\Adobe registry key when Reader is run outside or inside of the App-V virtual environment. Perhaps you have that key captured in your virtual environment that is overriding the local settings. 

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Thank you all for respond.

I have checked this registry entry, but it remains the same in both cases.

I have included Adobe Reader in my sequenced application and PDF document of this APP-V application open correctly (customization of Adobe Reader remains). In case when separate APP-V Adobe Reader is installed and some pdf document is opened then opening PDF from my sequenced application fails (even with PARAMETERS="/N"): “There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found.” It seems that system try to open this files using separately installed APP-V Adobe Reader, but not one included into sequenced application.

So I’m looking for solution still.

-------------------------------------------------------

The string has the following view:

<CODEBASE HREF="RTSPS://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:322/TESTPKG.210_2.sft" GUID="52612356-2AA2-4CC4-11F6-88AB5A5259FF" PARAMETERS="/N" FILENAME="TESTPKG.210\TESTFOLDER\Test.pdf" SYSGUARDFILE="TESTPKG.210\osguard.cp" SIZE="437783001"/>

• Edited by Reader_ Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:21 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Hello,

When looking at DSC - it is key in HOW you connect these packages and how the Adobe Reader software is called to fully understand the impact.

Depending on how you connect these packages you may also look at possible of a conflict of interest in registry keys and files / folders. I suggest you read the DSC-whitepapers to understand how overlapping values can have an impact such as the one you are describing;

http://www.tmurgent.com/WhitePapers%5CAppV_DSC_Transparency.pdf

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thank you for information. It seems to be very helpful for APP-V tasks.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 7:10 AM