Signing into Outlook mobile app prompts for authenticator app download. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a handful of new users who are downloading an installing Outlook mobile on iOS devices.  When signing into Outlook, the users are prompted to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app but I'm not sure why that is.  I've reviewed our conditional access policies that these users would apply to and we have that they need to use an approved application.  

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Monday, June 29, 2020 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Thanks for visiting our forum, here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client.

>> When signing into Outlook, the users are prompted to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app but I'm not sure why that is.

Are you using an Exchange account?
    Does this issue only happen to your Outlook for mobile client? It is suggested to add your email account to the mail client that comes with your phone and see if the issue has any difference. If they can all work fine on the mail client that comes with your phone and only have issues when using outlook app, I'm afraid that your issue may be related to the Outlook for iphone app.

Besides, as I know, if your email account has enabled two-factor verification, you will need the Microsoft Authenticator app when log in to your email account. Please check if you have enabled this feature in these email accounts and you could disable this feature if you really don’t need it. For more information, you may check this article: What is the Microsoft Authenticator app? 

If your issue still continues, to better solve it, it is suggested to post a new thread to the dedicated forum for Outlook for iphone.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your understanding and hope your question will be resolved soon.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:09 AM