none
Scheduling Always Effects Duration RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 simple questions, whenever I change the start and finish date on my project pro documents it always shifts the estimated duration in a column to the left. I want them to be completely independent of each other, how do I make this happen?

In addition, I have an estimated duration and an actual duration.  The estimated duration of the task will never change, but when the actual duration exceeds the estimated duration, it bumps the estimated duration up to that total.  For example, when I have a task that has an ED of 20 hrs and the actual duration is 25 hrs, it will force the estimated duration up to 25 hrs.  I want them to be independent.

Thanks!

Friday, June 3, 2016 6:53 PM

All replies

• This is by design and desired behavior. Once you have your schedule complete you need to take a baseline. Baselines never change, they are your estimated durations.

Durations and dates are very closely linked. Duration is the number of overall working days required to complete the task. So a task with a duration of 2d that spans 4 days can only happen if several of the days are non-working in your calendar. They might span a weekend for example.

If you really, really want dates and durations independent then use Manual Scheduling. With Manual Scheduling you can enter anything you like. But then why don't you just use Excel as you are turning off all the useful calculations Project does for you.

I recommend you buy a book on Project and/or get some training, it will save you many, many hours of frustration. Help is good for information on things like setting Baselines, but not for providing processes for scheduling or best way to update your projects etc.

Happy Scheduling

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, June 3, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to advice from Rod about Manual scheduling, try marking the activity as effort driven as well that may keep the actual hours  different from your duration.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Sunday, June 5, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Syed, did you mean Elapsed rather than Effort Driven? Effort driven only has an affect when adding or removing extra resources.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Sunday, June 5, 2016 5:50 AM