none
Planning a Domain Name Change RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My company is currently embarking on a corporate re-branding. Our current name can legally no longer be used after a date which is rapidly approaching.

I will need further clarification from the management if this includes our internal domain name or not, but in planning for this event, I want to be ready for whatever is asked of me. If they are ok with leaving the internal domain name, then no problem. change the UPN names and go get lunch.

The limiting factor in terms of renaming the internal domain is that we have Exchange 2010 on-premise, therefore, we can't simply rename the domain. We are currently in a Hybrid configuration with some users on O365 and some on-premise. Our AD is synced with Azure. 

I'm exploring the idea of moving all mailboxes (including public folders) to O365 and decommissioning our exchange server, then remove AD sync, rename the domain and live happily ever after. Has anyone else faced this scenario? What are some of the potential things that might break?

The other option is cross-forrest migration which doesn't sound fun at all.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

>>What are some of the potential things that might break?

I have never encountered similar scenario, but I have some suggestions for you as below:

1. List all domain-wide application, consider whether domain rename will break them.

2. You mentioned current you are using hybrid Azure AD and consider to remove AD sync and rename domain, I suggest you contact Azure support team to confirm if it's feasible, if break AD sync will cause other issue.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:40 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 11:37 AM