Opening pdf file via excel hyperlink RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I open a pdf by directly clicking on the file in sharepoint, I am asked if I want to check out. This should also happen when I open the pdf by clicking on the hyperlink in excel, but is doesn't.

When I open a pdf via a hyperlink in an excel file, the pdf is downloaded locally and changes are not uploaded to Sharepoint automatically.

Both the excel file (excel 2010) and the pdf are in the same folder on Sharepoint.

How to solve this?

Monday, March 24, 2014 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that when you opened a pdf via a hyperlink in an excel file, the pdf was downloaded locally and changes were not uploaded to Sharepoint automatically.

Per my knowleadge, instead of opening the document from the server in the Office client application, the document opens in the Office application from the Temporary Internet Files cache of the local machine.

The document cannot be saved back to the SharePoint site while it is open in the Office application. Users may be able to save changes, but the changes are being saved to the file in the Temporary Internet Files folder, not back to the SharePoint server.

However, there are Server-side Workaround and Client-side Workarounds.

For more information, you can refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2661910/en-us

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Friday, April 4, 2014 6:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:30 AM

All replies

• The problem is not really a SharePoint one as the annoying behaviour is outside of SharePoint. Adobe is, obviously, not owned by MS and aren't that tightly integrated with SharePoint. That means that they are unaware of the checkin/checkout behaviour and don't support it.

That means that as long as the interaction is predominantly coming from adobe tools then it won't check for the library checkout behaviour nor know how to interpret it even if it did. That means that the checkout box that you'd get if you opened an excel doc will not appear.

SharePoint could interpret each request for a file as a checkout command but that would be annoying for files that do not get edited that much and cause further usability issues.

I'm not sure if there is a good solution to this.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that when you opened a pdf via a hyperlink in an excel file, the pdf was downloaded locally and changes were not uploaded to Sharepoint automatically.

Per my knowleadge, instead of opening the document from the server in the Office client application, the document opens in the Office application from the Temporary Internet Files cache of the local machine.

The document cannot be saved back to the SharePoint site while it is open in the Office application. Users may be able to save changes, but the changes are being saved to the file in the Temporary Internet Files folder, not back to the SharePoint server.

However, there are Server-side Workaround and Client-side Workarounds.

For more information, you can refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2661910/en-us

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Friday, April 4, 2014 6:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:30 AM