none
Comparison of the speed of execution of operations on similar computers RRS feed

• Question

• On a home network, there are two similar computers running Windows 10. On one computer, operationsexecution is noticeably slower (by eye) than on the other. By operationsI mean: 1) calling pages from the network at the same address, 2) opening text files and images of approximately the same size, 3) opening help and maintenance windows (for example, Settings).

A significant difference between computers is that the first computer stores more user files - pictures, clips, sound and text files than the second. As a result, the volumes of the C: \ Windows and C: \ Users \ <user name> partitions vary greatly on computers:

On the first: Windows - 26.4 Gb, <user name> - 92.3 Gb (165.847 files)

On the second: Windows - 18.9 Gb, <user name> - 34.4 Gb (76,120 files)

(It is difficult to calculate the difference in the size of user files due to their scattered across disks.)

It would seem that files stored on hard drives do not use performance resources and their presence should not affect the speed of operationsexecution.

Could the above difference in the amount of stored information be the reason for this slowdown? Or do Ineed to look for other reasons?

Sunday, October 25, 2020 10:24 AM

All replies

• On a home network, there are two similar computers running Windows 10. On one computer, operationsexecution is noticeably slower (by eye) than on the other. By operationsI mean: 1) calling pages from the network at the same address, 2) opening text files and images of approximately the same size, 3) opening help and maintenance windows (for example, Settings).

A significant difference between computers is that the first computer stores more user files - pictures, clips, sound and text files than the second. As a result, the volumes of the C: \ Windows and C: \ Users \ <user name> partitions vary greatly on computers:

On the first: Windows - 26.4 Gb, <user name> - 92.3 Gb (165.847 files)

On the second: Windows - 18.9 Gb, <user name> - 34.4 Gb (76,120 files)

(It is difficult to calculate the difference in the size of user files due to their scattered across disks.)

It would seem that files stored on hard drives do not use performance resources and their presence should not affect the speed of operationsexecution.

Could the above difference in the amount of stored information be the reason for this slowdown? Or do Ineed to look for other reasons?

Sunday, October 25, 2020 10:14 AM
  • You have to instal the Microsoft windows again for the lower pc . It doesn't make a big difference between the two computers to have the one less memory are lower hard disc or lower processer to be lower in speed becaues the two computers are very avansed. and try to scan the lower pc maybe it is infekted.

hassansayedissa

Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:37 PM
  • You have to instal the Microsoft windows again for the lower pc . It doesn't make a big difference between the two computers to have the one less memory are lower hard disc or lower processer to be lower in speed becaues the two computers are very avansed. and try to scan the lower pc maybe it is infekted.

hassansayedissa

Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you ask over at the dedicated Windows 10 Hardware & Performance forum over here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/topics/windows-10-hardware-performance.html

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:59 PM
  • Thanks Hassans1. Your words(It doesn't make a big difference between the two computers to have the one less memory are lower hard disc or lower processer to be lower in speed because the two computers are very advanced) have confirmed my assumptions. I completely agree with you. But Avast scans and finds nothing. And I would not want to reinstall, but if nothing helps, then I have to.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 2:10 AM
  • Thank you Leon Laude. I took your advice. And I liked the Q&A forum.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2020 2:15 AM