none
Choosing Project Template Work Week When Resources have different work weeks RRS feed

• Question

• We use Project Online and Project Pro 2016.

Our UK team has let me know that they have a 37.5 work week.  Currently the UK Calendar has the UK holidays with a 40 hour week.  I have made the change in TEST.  I have also changed the Working Schedule of the project template to match the UK 37.5 hours in the Calendar.  So now if the UK plans a task for 5 days, then the hours assigned are 37.5 for the task.  This is all fine and good for UKrs, but our India resources also work on UK projects and have a 40 hour week.

Given this fact the question arose whether UK projects should be based on a UK calendar with 40 or 37.5 hour week for task planning?  And then, based on who is assigned the task the duration will be revised based on that resource's holiday calendar and work week ... 37.5 or 40.0. 

We decided that it is best for UK project to be based on a UK calendar with a 37.5 hour work week.  It means that a task given a 5 day duration will have 37.5 hours of work.  A UK resources assigned to that task will take a whole week to complete it, while a India resource (with a 40 hour work week) assigned to it would be done with the task in less than a week.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Friday, January 27, 2017 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

just a comment with my personal opinion:

What you are asking, is a common request in Austria. So far, I have always been successful to convince customer to use the same project calendar and resource calendar for all resource with regards to hours per day or week (of course not for holidays). From a planning perspective, nearly no project manager wants to start thinking, if a resource is available to work 8 or 7,5hrs a day to perform a task. Most of the time they are thinking in days. So in my projects, we all took the descision to just move on with 40hrs/week

I don’t see any issues regarding status updates (in Tasks or Timesheets). Whatever the resource calendar is giving as hours/day, resource will enter Actual Hours anyway. A UK person will just submit 38hrs/week, a resource from India 40hrs/week. As long as all of them are trained to adjust their remaining work accordingly, I don’t see any issues for the project manager at all.

But as I wrote: this is my opinion.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Sunday, March 5, 2017 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

just a comment with my personal opinion:

What you are asking, is a common request in Austria. So far, I have always been successful to convince customer to use the same project calendar and resource calendar for all resource with regards to hours per day or week (of course not for holidays). From a planning perspective, nearly no project manager wants to start thinking, if a resource is available to work 8 or 7,5hrs a day to perform a task. Most of the time they are thinking in days. So in my projects, we all took the descision to just move on with 40hrs/week

I don’t see any issues regarding status updates (in Tasks or Timesheets). Whatever the resource calendar is giving as hours/day, resource will enter Actual Hours anyway. A UK person will just submit 38hrs/week, a resource from India 40hrs/week. As long as all of them are trained to adjust their remaining work accordingly, I don’t see any issues for the project manager at all.

But as I wrote: this is my opinion.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Sunday, March 5, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Barbara,

Thanks for the answer.

We finally decided to have our UK templates use the UK 37.5 hour week. UK tasks are set to durations using days, while the India team tasks are forecasted using hours.  It seems to be working.

Thanks,

John

Monday, March 6, 2017 1:10 PM