none
linking tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I have just started using project online and straight away I have come up with a problem. When I link tasks, project online automatically links them finish to start and doesn't give me an option to add a lag or buffer. I consulted the help pages which instructed me to click on the link lines between the task bars. Nothing happens when I click on the lines. Another option was to click on the edit button on the task. Well, there is no edit button on the task bar.

Anyone know what to do? Microsoft tech support couldn't solve this for me.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:15 PM

All replies

• benscribbles --

What you are seeing is the behavior of Project Online when you attempt to use the PWA interface to plan and manage your projects.  There are many limitations with using the PWA interface, one of which is that you can only apply Finish-to-Start dependencies to tasks.  You cannot use any of the other three dependency types, nor can you add Lag time or Lead time to the dependency.

This is one of many reasons why I strongly recommend you use Microsoft Project for planning and managing your projects in Project Online.  The Help page to which you referred is referencing how to add Lag time if you are using the Microsoft Project application, as the directions do not apply to the PWA interface.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:11 PM