WORD 2016 - line numbers on right side are printed on left side RRS feed

• Question

• Question :

Created a document in word 2016, with right to left layout defined by default as per right to left language. Entered some lines with arbitrary text and activated the built-in Line Numbering. The line numbers appear on correctly screen on the right side, as should be for a right to left layout.

However, when printed, no matter to what printer, the line numbers appear on printed page, on the left instead of the right. Attached pls find, link to example word file created as above, screen capture of how it appears on screen, and scan copy of the printed result. Can u pls recommend a solution or bypass to this issue ? Thank you

Additional Information :

Link to example file (kindly download the file and open it with windows 2016)

The file as appears on screen :

AsAppearsOnScreen

A scan copy of the printed result :

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi moital,

I can reproduced the problem when printing the sample file you shared above to PDF. 

>> Created a document in word 2016, with right to left layout defined by default as per right to left language. 

Could you please clarify what you mean by "with right to left layout defined by default as per right to left language. " then I can do further test on this?

I noticed that if we select the Right-to-Left Text Direction before typing text and insert numbering, the line numbers can show up as expected after printing to PDF:

See the sample file below:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AuCU_Opwmf6jgjBBZ__do-BTiUyQ

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by moital Friday, September 8, 2017 2:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by moital Sunday, September 10, 2017 7:12 AM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Thank u for your reply.

We tried what u suggested but alas the line numbers still appear on the left side of the printed page, both on physical printed, and on exported PDF.

Another bypass solution that my work for this issue will be appreciated. Also, if this is a bug in WORD 2016, how to notify the relevant Microsoft Team so to be fixed in next update ?

Sunday, September 10, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Hi moital,

Have you checked the sample file I shared above? https://1drv.ms/w/s!AuCU_Opwmf6jgjBBZ__do-BTiUyQ

I tested in my environment by selecting the Right-to-Left Text Direction beforeing typing text and applying the line numbers:

Regarding your concern about submitting this feedback, it is encouraged to report this via File > Feedback, or you can post to the Word UserVoice forum. Microsoft loves hearing all feedback and is is committed to continuously improving your experience with the products.

Hope this can be helpful. Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance on this.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by moital Monday, September 11, 2017 4:49 AM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 1:52 AM
  • Yes we did check the sample file you candidly provided, and on our side it still appears when printed with line numbers on the left rather than on the right.

We'll report this on Word User Voice. Thank u.

Monday, September 11, 2017 4:49 AM