none
Old standalone tapedrive not removed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

i have a single DPM 2010 server which had a standalone drive attached to it. a library with two drives is now installed and functioning properly. the thing is that i want to old drive to disapear from the management tab. i have reconfigured all pg's to use the new library but still the old remains. rescan, referesh, reboot no succes.

how do get rid of the old tape drive?

and could this have een caused by disconnecting the tape drive while there was a tape in it?

regards,

Alex

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:25 AM

Answers

• OK - that seems to be the root of the problem, when DPM can no longer communicate with a library, two things should happen:

A) If ANY PG is configured to use that missing library, the library should show offline, and inventory jobs will fail.

B) If no PG is configured to use that missing library, it should not show up in the GUI and inventory jobs should not be ran.

Can you perform a rescan operation, then zip and send me the c:\program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\temp\msdpmcurr.errlog 

Also, try running the DPMDriveMapping.exe tool and send me the putput .xml file.
       see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx

Send output to mjacquet[at]microsoft[dot]com and paste in this therad url.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the standalone tape drive showing (offline) in the DPM library management console ?  If not that may be the issue.

Please check all your PG's one more time and be sure both the Library and Copy Library devices are for the new tape library and that none of them show the standalone library.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Hi Mike,

no, it's not showing up as offline. from the console it looks like its working ok i can even start an erase job against it. obviously is can't do anything but the jobs starts.

if have disabled the device for now but i would like to get rid of it,

thnxx,

Alex

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:58 AM
  • OK - that seems to be the root of the problem, when DPM can no longer communicate with a library, two things should happen:

A) If ANY PG is configured to use that missing library, the library should show offline, and inventory jobs will fail.

B) If no PG is configured to use that missing library, it should not show up in the GUI and inventory jobs should not be ran.

Can you perform a rescan operation, then zip and send me the c:\program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\temp\msdpmcurr.errlog 

Also, try running the DPMDriveMapping.exe tool and send me the putput .xml file.
       see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx

Send output to mjacquet[at]microsoft[dot]com and paste in this therad url.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Hi, 

I am closing this thread. If your problem does not gets solved, feel free to reopen the thread(unmark proposed solution). 

thanks,

Parag Agrawal 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:28 AM