Questions to the WSUS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have 2 questions regarding the WSUS Server I hope someone can help me since I can't find anything in the Internet.

1. How is it possible to find or sort my Clients on the WSUS to show me all Win10 1511 Builds and Win10 1607 Builds? I can only sort by OS and it only shows me Windows 10 (Version 10.0)...

2. Is it possible to set Alias to the Clients? We have historical name notation for example Win2012-E1 which doesn't give me much information. Is it Possible to create a new column for Aliases or Komment field?

Our WSUS environment is:

Win2012 R2
    WSUS Version 6.3.9600.16384.

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Michael

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1. In computers, in header, right click and add the Version Field. Exact OS version is defined there.
    2. Here are the columns defined in WSUS Database : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb410149(v=vs.85).aspx. I don't know for sure if we can add of not a custom column in WSUS.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I agree with you. It has been working for more than a decade, and they trow away a product that was simply running.

If found a Blog on Technet's website for Windows 10, Delivery Optimization and WSUS: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2016/08/16/windows-10-delivery-optimization-and-wsus-take-2/

This article explains a lot of things about this topic. But the more I read comments, to more I see peoples having issues Windows 10 1607 and WSUS. The product seems to be far from being stable. But we need to use with it, move on and try to make it work... The best we can.

Having that said, probably you should let a couple of hours, even a day, to see if reporting is working for those computers before try to troubleshoot it.

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

• Marked as answer by Michael_87 Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:32 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. In computers, in header, right click and add the Version Field. Exact OS version is defined there.
    2. Here are the columns defined in WSUS Database : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb410149(v=vs.85).aspx. I don't know for sure if we can add of not a custom column in WSUS.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Hi Gilles,

thanks for the quick reply!

I feel stupid for the first question now... But thanks for the information, it is exactly what I needed!

I will try the second answer tomorrow.

Regards,
    Michael

• Proposed as answer by Gilles Tremblay Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:53 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 3:13 PM
  • No problem !

And don't feel stupid, there is no stupid questions here !

Will wait for your post tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Gilles Tremblay

Monday, October 24, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hi Michael,

>2. Is it possible to set Alias to the Clients? We have historical name notation for example Win2012-E1 which doesn't give me much information. Is it Possible to create a new column for Aliases or Komment field?

WSUS server use SusClientID to identify WSUS clients, computer name is the attribute of the computer, it is reported by clients, we are unable to change it on WSUS server.

If you want to change the display name, you'd better change the computer name on client side.

Besides, if you have old computers listing in WSUS console, you may run Server Cleanup Wizard to cleanup old computers that no longer contact with the WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:37 AM
  • Hey Gilles,

I've checked the link you sent me, but this is too much "deep modifications" on the wsus... The problem is that I have colleagues that don't work with sql and I want to keep it simple. I was hoping for something like a new column I can define or something like that. Too bad that the WSUS don't have that...

BTW: Is it true that with Win10, the wuauclt.exe don't work anymore? The commands wuauclt.exe /detectnow or /reportnow don't seem to have any effect anymore. Only when I check for Updates via control panel and wait a while, it will do a report on the WSUS Server.

Kind Regards
    Michael

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:39 AM
  • Exact. wuauclt.exe is now history in Windows 10.

I've seen peoples doing this command instead to invoke Window Update :

(New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).DetectNow()

I personally prefer let WSUS or Configmgr do it's job when it goes for Corporate Networks.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:47 PM
  • Also I'm not a big fan of third party tools when it goes to Windows Update and Windows Management genarally speaking, as their life are often short and it doesn't take long to get stuck with an unsupported product.

Gilles Tremblay

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Exact. wuauclt.exe is now history in Windows 10.

I've seen peoples doing this command instead to invoke Window Update :

I personally prefer let WSUS or Configmgr do it's job when it goes for Corporate Networks.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay

Hi Gilles Tremblay,

Thanks for sharing the information. You may mark useful replies as answer, so that others see this post may find valuable things quickly.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi Gilles,

thanks again. I don't understand why they killed the wuauclt.exe in Win10 but how am I supposed to get a fresh report of the Client on the WSUS? Checking for Windows Updates with the control panel doesn't seem to do an instant report to the WSUS. I had clients that had "Last Status Report" for over 15 minutes, even though I hit check for Updates many times. Is it only possible with the command you posted? 

Regards
    Michael

Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:42 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I agree with you. It has been working for more than a decade, and they trow away a product that was simply running.

If found a Blog on Technet's website for Windows 10, Delivery Optimization and WSUS: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2016/08/16/windows-10-delivery-optimization-and-wsus-take-2/

This article explains a lot of things about this topic. But the more I read comments, to more I see peoples having issues Windows 10 1607 and WSUS. The product seems to be far from being stable. But we need to use with it, move on and try to make it work... The best we can.

Having that said, probably you should let a couple of hours, even a day, to see if reporting is working for those computers before try to troubleshoot it.

Gilles Tremblay

• Marked as answer by Michael_87 Thursday, October 27, 2016 2:32 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:27 PM
  • Hi Gilles,

you are right, with Windows 10 1511 there were some issues... but with 1607 it is insane... Right now I am upgrading about 50 Windows 10 1511 Clients to 1607 (by hand) and the only way for them to "talk" to the WSUS is to instantly install the KB3193494 Patch. After that it seams to work fine again. Let's see for how long...

BTW: I am facing still a problem with the Language packs on the WSUS. I've already created a thread (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/026e139b-85bc-42b1-a8b1-e53fa17dd385/wsus-server-rollout-language-packages?forum=windowsserver8de) but the "answer" is not helpful.

Thanks again Gilles!

Regards
    Michael

Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Ok.

Do you got an ETA or a deadline for the other thread ? Because I some work to do in office and I would check this later today or tomorrow.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay

Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Hi Gilles,

no hurry. We already live with that for over 5 Months so no hurry. But it would be nice if this can be fixed sometime in the future :-)

Regards
    Michael

Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:28 PM
  • Ok.

I bookmarked your thread and I will work on it and do my best to resolve it.

Don't forget to mark as answer any post here that helped you achieved what you want.

Have a nice day !

Best Regard,

Gilles Tremblay

Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:34 PM