none
After bare metal restore, getting message This copy of Windows is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• We have been running a legit copy of SBS2011 on a HP DL380 G7 for many years.  We also keep on hand a second HP DL380 G7 with an identical hardware configured that we use as a lab system to test changes before we apply them to the production server.

Last week the production server suffered a massive disk failure which rendered the server inoperative.  We mounted the lab server and performed a bare metal restore of the prior nights backup from the production server.  The restore went flawlessly and normal function was restored.  Three days later we started receiving the message Windows Server 2008 R2 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not Genuine, on the lower right of the screen.  It does not appear to be affecting the function of the server as everything is working properly including email but we are nervous about seeing that message.

This is a legit copy of SBS that has been running for many years.  Any assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.      

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think you just need to re-activiate due to the hardware change.

-- Al

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:58 PM
  • Yes... I plan to do that but I've read other posts where people claim they were unable to get to a desktop when the "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" message is displayed.  I'd hate to make a bad situation worse, but by the same token I can't allow the company to continue to run under a cloud of suspicion that the copy of Windows is not genuine.  I'll reactivate tonight after close of business and report the results.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:11 PM
  • Yup... that was it.  Windows activated without any problems.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:55 PM
  • Hi,

Please remember to click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:03 AM