none
Is there a limit of how many resources can be shared via a single Resource Pool in Project 2010 Professional standalone? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a single master project resource pool of over 150 resources that are shared across let's say 10-15 sub projects or sharer files.

We are using Microsoft Project Professional (standalone no project server)

Are you aware of any limitations outside of project server with resource pool and sharing, or should we be using Project server (as I have read a lot of articles about resource pool sharing working better in project server)

I'd like to get clarification on:

1. I read that the calendars for resources (of which there could be many shift patterns etc.) should always be created in the master project only, not in the sharer files. In my testing I see that a shared resource also brings the additional calendars from the Master Project file - and can be chosen in the calendar column from Resource sheet.

2. Each sharer file can have it's own specific project calendar, but the resource calendar (used by the assigned resources from the pool) will drive the scheduling (as per normal), unless;

3. A specific task has a 'Task Calendar' applied to it AND "scheduling ignores resource calendars" is ticked.

I am trying to find an article that addresses, in detail, the limitations or 'look out fors' in this area.  I have found plenty about how to create and share resources, but this is more troubleshooting.

Any advice or direction that can be given would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:11 AM

Answers

• No limit to resources, but linked master and resource pools are at high risk of file corruption if you rename, over-write or move a linked file without removing it from the master and pool first. Files will corrupt, its when not if.

Master files should never have any resources or tasks in them, only inserted projects.

I much prefer creating master files with the Link option deselected. This copies all data and consolidates resource info (so no pool needed). I record a macro to create new masters each week. This method has no corruption risk.

Your alternative now is to experiment with Project Server. By far the best way to prototype a system is to get Project Online through Microsoft, ProjectHosts or Bemo. It will give you access to a vanilla project server very quickly and cost for a few months testing is trivial for a few users.

If you go ahead with a full implementation I strongly recommend getting a qualified Project Server partner to help you implement the full system.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:06 AM