CHKDSK running really slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I run Windows 7 on a fujitsu workstation.

I recently bought a 4TB hard drive (SEAGATE ST4000VM000 4TB PIPELINE HD).

I’m going to use this HDD on another device, not my PC, but since that device cannot format that kind of volume, I installed the HDD to my PC.

I needed to make an EXT3, GPT format to make the HDD ideal for my use.

I tried to do so with a program called “EaseUS Partition Master 10.0”. Then it get stuck to 46% (maybe that was my second attempt, after I cancelled the first one), so I tried a couple of other programs (Seagate DiscWizard and MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 8.1.1). After these programs failed to do the job also, I tried on windows.

I’m sorry to tell you all these details, but they might mean something.

So I formatted that drive (new empty drive) with NTFS, GPT, and simple partition. Because It still get stuck at 46% when I tried to make it a EXT3 afterwards, I stopped trying EXT3, and I tried to check that HDD for errors.

So I run “chkdsk /R F:”, and chkdsk is now running on my PC, on a single 4TB volume NTFS.

But that started at 26 Jul 2014, and now three days later it is still at 17% scanning free space (81 595 742 of 976 669 653) that is 8.35% of my free space.

It is working, and numbers are changing steady, but really slow.

I simultaneously run a  “chkdsk /R D:” on my other HDD to see how it goes, and when it went to “verifying free space” the speed was at least 100 times faster (instead of the digit of thousands changing one every one second approximately, it was the digit of 100 thousand changing almost the same way).

Any suggestions, so I won’t wait 30 more days for chkdsk to finish?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:20 AM

Answers

• Yes, go to the drive vendor's web site's warranty page, enter the drive's serial number and see if it is still under warranty. If not, toss it in the trash or take it apart and play with the magnets. The drive cannot be used to reliably store data.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Look at the System event log and see if the driver is logging errors

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, and thank you for your answer.

I really don’t know which errors am I looking for, as there are quite a few in there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

At this time I did the following: I used the "Gparted-live-0.19.1-1-i486", and saw that the format in NTFS is always "Quick", while EXT3 is slow. So I managed to make EXT3 format entire disk except a small portion of 69.42 GB from 3,726.02 GB total. This part made "Gparted-live-0.19.1-1-i486" crash and my PC did reboot. So I think there is the problem that I have, so: I formatted NTFS this section located in the middle of the disc, and let "Unallocated" the beginning and the end of it. After I started Windows and now I run "chkdsk /R E:", to fix errors in this section only. Big difference than I did the entire disk so, but again, right now I'm at 1'594'165 of 18'176'273 free clusters after 4 hours. At this rate 69.42 GB will need a total of about 46 hours. Of course I see that the process is much slower, I believe due to errors on disk.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Look for disk or controller errors in the System event log. They should have a yellow or red icon on the left, so they're easy to spot

-Brian

Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:41 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes I do have 6253 events only since noon that I started chkdsk again.

Almost all of them say “The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.”

Is there something else I can do about it?

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Yes, go to the drive vendor's web site's warranty page, enter the drive's serial number and see if it is still under warranty. If not, toss it in the trash or take it apart and play with the magnets. The drive cannot be used to reliably store data.

-Brian

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Oh my god! I was performing this in order to fix that drive’s errors.

Isn’t chkdsk fixing those errors?

My drive was never used, I bought it two weeks ago, and I’m trying to recover it just because I think that I damaged it when I stopped formatting a couple of times with task manager.

I am sure I can ask for warranty, but only if there is nothing else to do.

Paul Vouros

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:44 PM
  • No. CHKDSK can fix file system (metadata) errors. It cannot fix a bad disk, which from the event log entries appears to be the case. There is nothing else that can be done.

-Brian

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Finally I understood that Hdd had many bad sectors, and chkdsk wouldn’t solve them.

So I gave that HDD back, and took another, and so far so good.

Thank you everyone.

Paul Vouros

Sunday, August 3, 2014 11:53 AM