none
Messenger just won't stay minimized. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've got the newest messenger installed, but it always pops back up after its been minimized. Here's a description of what happens.

Open messenger and login.
    Click on the red x to close the main window, but leaving the program still running on the task bar.
    I have firefox and thunderbird in my quick launch buttons, and whenever i minimize either of those programs, messenger pops back up again. It doesn't seem to do it with IE or the windows explorer buttons.  and it doesn't matter if the thunderbird or firefox buttons are pinned to the taskbar.

I've tried a few other programs, and it only seems to do it with these two so far.

Any suggestions to fix this? It is quite annoying.

Dan.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

This behavior also occurs on our computers. We will report it.

Thanks for your discovery.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Which version are you using? The Windows Live Installer one or 9.0?
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

It is Windows Live Messenger 2009.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:00 AM
  • I'm currently using the 9.0 version (IMO its much chicer and seemless) if you want a link and would like to upgrade (something like 100mb) I'll link ya to it, my version seems to work fine with it.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Hi , 

Noel, thanks for your information.

If some buddy needs that link please post here.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:38 AM
  •  http://download.live.com/messenger Get the WLCustom-Installer, should be around 100mb to download the messenger, see if that renders any results.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:40 AM
  • I have the lastest version 2009,  build 14.0.8050.1202.
    I am having the same issue it always leaves a item in the taskbar if i click it then my Messanger opens up and another item shows up in the task bar. If i close the first item it closes both and signs me out of messagener all together. when i first installed it the icon showed up in the section beside my time. I think this changed once i downloaded Windows Live Mail. This was the only change before this started happening.

I find it quite annoying as well.

Kevin.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 11:35 PM
  • I get the same thing, but.. slightly different.

I minimize Messenger9... and while other windows are up, MSN stays minimized. As soon as I minimize all the other windows I may have open... to have an empty desktop - up pops MSN! It only happens to me when I clear my desktop windows...
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:19 AM
  • the version of Windows Live Messenger is Version 2009 build 14.0.8050.1202

and for now, i've just had to run it in vista compatibility mode so that it just stays in the bottom right task bar instead.

dan.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:15 PM
  • i guess it is kindof a proposed answer. but more of a temporary fix.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:11 PM
  • this is still happening, any other more definitive  solution, or it will only be solved on the rtm? tnkx for the awnser :)
    Friday, May 29, 2009 10:06 AM