none
Can't get gpo changes to implement

Question

• I have made changes via gpo to a specific user on a laptop. But for some reason they will not take.  I setup a specific mmc file set to the specific user gpo snap in. 

Some examples of ones that won't take affect. "Prohibit access to control panel and pc settings", "Remove run menu from start menu" I've rebooted the pc several times and ran gpupdate /force and gpupdate /target:{user}.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

But yet a number of other changes are working.  Not sure what is blocking these changes.

Also note I am doing this on a local PC, not at a server level.
    • Edited by creamysbrianna Saturday, February 14, 2015 11:42 PM missing information
    Saturday, February 14, 2015 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please use Group Policy Results Wizard to find out why they are not applying:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739934(v=ws.10).aspx

Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Will this work when dealing at the local PC level only, I am running the policy locally not via a server.  I don't have a server either.
    Sunday, February 15, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

>>Will this work when dealing at the local PC level only, I am running the policy locally not via a server.  I don't have a server either.

On the PC, after the user logging on, run cmd command gpresult/h gpreport.html. This will collect user part group policy settings applied to the user. If we want to see the computer part group policy applied to the PC, run the command with administrative privileges.

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 16, 2015 4:56 PM
  • I ran that and go an error message that said "access denied".  I did run gpresult /user username /v and it appears all the policies are being applied but still won't work.  I can't prevent the user from accessing the run menu or the control panel even though I have them set to enabled.  It's almost like something is blocking the policy from working correctly.

I don't know if this helps but the windows version is Windows 8.1 Pro

• Edited by creamysbrianna Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:06 PM missing information
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:10 PM
  • did you elevate the cmd prompt and run it - right click run as administrator? the post the results
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 7:53 PM
  • > Will this work when dealing at the local PC level only, I am running the
    > policy locally not via a server.  I don't have a server either.

You cannot use "GPO" without a domain :)

screenshots of your steps might be helpful to understand what you did.

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Monday, February 23, 2015 4:25 PM