Not enough space for successful backup(0x81000014) RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and have been using the Backup tools that come with Vista. I've been performing backups of my C drive to an external hard drive (J).

But lately I have been getting the following message. I retry and it seems to get almost finished but then shows the backup failed. I've searched several forums on the Internet but no one ever seems to provide a definitive answer.

***The last file backup did not complete successfully.** Details:
    "There is not enough space on your Windows disk to prepare for backing up your files. At least 400MB of free space is required to continue. (0x81000014)"

I have over 160 GB of free space on C. And over 134GB of free space on J. (External drive)
    I'm not sure where it can't find 400MB of space in all these free GBs. Any suggestions?

I've run into a lot of questions about this but really no decent answers.

Does anyone here have an answer or solution? Has ANYONE else run into this issue?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:00 AM

Answers

• Pat,

Thanks for send the traces. Looks like the traces for the failure was overwritten by the other backup traces that you attempted after this failure.

But from what you are saying the issue seems to be due  to Antivirus holding a handle to the ZIP file causing backup to fail when trying to write to the ZIP file. Like what you have observed, this is a transient error and most probably will get fixed upon multiple retries.

In Windows7 we are improving this error message to indicate the issue due to AntiVirus. For now I suggest when ever you hit this issue, pl. turn off antivirus monitoring and then attempt a backup.

Thanks for all the co-operation.

Sriram [MSFT]
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Inorder to help us investigate this failure, can you pl. send us the backup failure traces under %windir%\Logs\WindowsBackup\*? You can collect the files and send them to sriramb_at_microsoft_dot_com (added underscores, words instead of symbols to protect it from spam, pl. remove them to get to my ID).

Thanks,

Sriram[MSFT]

Friday, February 27, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Hopefully I sent the correct info and you received it okay.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Well, that's  not going to work.

Perhaps I didn't' do it correctly because the files were so large that the sending timed out.

What would the logs contain that could help with the problem?  Confusing to me.

Thanks.

Friday, February 27, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Pat,

We are suspecting that this is because of software like Antivirus coming in the way of Windows Backup while creating a ZIP file. The traces would help us confirm if what you are seeing is the same problem.

Few questions:
    1. Can you try to ZIP the contents of the directory and send them as a single file?
    2. If you try running backup again does it fail? Is it consistent?
    3. Are you running any Anti Virus software? If so, can you pl. let us know the name/version of the software? Can you try stopping the Antivirus software and try taking a backup to see if the issue gets resolved?

Thanks,
    Sriram [MSFT]
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:01 PM
  • I think the finally got the log files to you.  After I sent them a couple at a time I found the process needed to zip them.

If I failed to mention it I use AVG FREE. I thought I had also mentioned that the scheduled backups seemed to go okay. Just when I try to do a manual backup do things seem to go awry.

Thanks for trying to help such a dense person.  <G>
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Pat,

I only received 3 of the trace files (5, 6, 7). They do not correspond to the failure you are seeing. Could you pl. zip all the trace files together and send them in a mail?

Like I said before, we are suspecting that this is happening due to software like AntiVirus trying to get hold of the ZIP file that backup is creating.

It is good to know that you are seeing this only when trying to do a manual backup. But even there we would like the backup to succeed. Are you seeing this failure every time you do a manual backup? Or is it happening only once in a while?

Did you try turning off the antivirus software and see if the backup succeeds after that?

Thanks,
    Sriram [MSFT]

Monday, March 2, 2009 6:19 AM
  • I had a backup scheduled for 11:00 last night and I just checked.  It went off successfully as scheduled.  Strange.

I will try a manual backup later today with AVG turned off.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Pat,

Thanks for send the traces. Looks like the traces for the failure was overwritten by the other backup traces that you attempted after this failure.

But from what you are saying the issue seems to be due  to Antivirus holding a handle to the ZIP file causing backup to fail when trying to write to the ZIP file. Like what you have observed, this is a transient error and most probably will get fixed upon multiple retries.

In Windows7 we are improving this error message to indicate the issue due to AntiVirus. For now I suggest when ever you hit this issue, pl. turn off antivirus monitoring and then attempt a backup.

Thanks for all the co-operation.

Sriram [MSFT]
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Thanks for ALL of your time and effort.

I will attempt it manually with AVG and Spybot turned off.

I really appreciate the extra steps you took to help me.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Sriram,

I started having the same problem. My concern with your answer is 2 fold:

1. It just started happening and and my AV software has not changed other than patch fixes since it was installed

2. I'm using the Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV software

Thanks

Sam

Sunday, July 18, 2010 3:53 AM
  • Sriram,

Regarding my previous post, I turned off Microsoft Essentials and I attmpted another full backup. I got the same error message as before so in my case this is not the problem. Your solution also brings up an issue that if what you are saying is the problem then I have to disable automatic backups because there is no way to automatically turn off the AV do the backup and turn it back on.

Thanks

Sam

Sunday, July 18, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Hi Sam,

I just hit the same problem, and I begin searching in MS web.  After I saw your post I worked out the solution.  I want to share the solution to you (and Pat)(although you and Pat might have already resolved the issue).

My case is: my volume to be backed up is too full.  When doing backup in Vista/Win7/Server 2008/R2, VSS backup is the way to go.  While VSS will attempt to allocate free space in the drive being backup for creating shadow copy.  This is the default VSS behavior but can be altered by vssadmin.exe utility.  Please note elevated priviledge is required for running vssadmin.exe.

So, if the drive you are going to backup is too full, you might hit this problem.  That means, even if you have free space in other drive, by default VSS don't know how to leverage them.

Hopefully it can give you tiny little help.

Cheers

Lawrence
    Friday, November 5, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I just experienced this same error under Vista Professional.  It did last work 5/21/2011 but has failed since including multiple manual tries.  I have temporarily disabled AVG and am running the backup.  Interesting though is that the successful backup of 5/21/2011 worked with AVG active as normal.

this backup also failed.

Now trying with spybot turned off.  IT WAS SUCCESSFUL WITH SPYBOT TURNED OFF (AND AVG TURNED ON)!!!!!!!!!

Having something like Spybot interfering sounds like a bad backup design!!

bob

Bob Alston

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:00 PM