none
Error when running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - error 0x800f0906 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I wonder if you can help me.

I keep getting error 0x800f0906 when running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.
    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature.

For more information, review the log file.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

relevant bits from it seem to be:

Checking System Update Readiness.

(p)    CSI Payload Corrupt            amd64_microsoft-windows-windowsupdateclient-ui_31bf3856ad364e35_7.8.9200.16927_none_28265fa316d944b7\wuaext.dll
    Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.
    (p)    CSI Payload Corrupt            amd64_microsoft-windows-windowsupdateclient-ui_31bf3856ad364e35_7.8.9200.16927_none_28265fa316d944b7\wushareduxresources.dll
    Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

Summary:
    Operation: Detect and Repair
    Operation result: 0x800f0906
    Last Successful Step: Entire operation completes.
    Total Detected Corruption:    2
        CBS Manifest Corruption:    0
        CBS Metadata Corruption:    0
        CSI Manifest Corruption:    0
        CSI Metadata Corruption:    0
        CSI Payload Corruption:    2
    Total Repaired Corruption:    0
        CBS Manifest Repaired:    0
        CSI Manifest Repaired:    0
        CSI Payload Repaired:    0
        CSI Store Metadata refreshed:    True

In adition, my windows 8 will not carry out a scheduled maintenance session.

Is this something I can repair. Any help would be appreciated. The setup event logs mentions 2 errors, so presumably this is the issue.

Monday, July 14, 2014 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please upload the DISM.log files into OneDrive and post us the link here. The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log.

Besides, for the CSI payload corrupt issue, please take a try to reset the Windows update components. Then try to run the command and check the results:

Follow this guide: How do I reset Windows Update components?

In addition, update the system to Windows 8.1 will make a better usage of the features and functions offered. Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 build on Windows 8 and Windows RT, to bring you enhancements in personalization, search, apps, the Windows Store, and cloud connectivity, and has the security and reliability features you expect from Windows. It's fast and made to work on a variety of devices—especially on the new generation of touch devices.

For more information regarding update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8. please see:

Update to Windows 8.1 from WIndows 8

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:53 AM
  • Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."

If we read the documentation, we might infer we can use any existing WinSxS as source?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825265.aspx

<quote>

You can restore and enable a feature that has previously been removed from the image. Use the /Source argument to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. The source of the files can by the Windows folder in a mounted image, for example c:\test\mount\Windows. You can also use a Windows side-by-side folder as the source of the files, for example z:\sources\SxS.

If you specify multiple /Source arguments, the files are gathered from the first location where they are found and the rest of the locations are ignored. If you do not specify a /Source for a feature that has been removed, the default location in the registry is used or, for online images, Windows Update (WU) is used.

Use /LimitAccess to prevent DISM from contacting WU for online images.

</quote>

That quote was actually from under the /Enable-Feature operand but the /Source: operand has wider scope.

Compare the briefer description of the same operand given later under the /Cleanup-Image operand

<quote>

Use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair, such as a path to the Windows directory of a mounted image.

If you specify multiple /Source arguments, the files are gathered from the first location where they are found and the rest of the locations are ignored. If you do not specify a /Source for a feature that has been removed, the default location in the registry is used or Windows Update (WU) is used for online images.

Use /LimitAccess to prevent DISM from contacting WU for repair of online images.

</quote>

Does this mean the functionality is limited or that they were just trying to avoid being redundant?   ; }

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:37 PM

All replies

• did this PC connected to domain?

cek log at CBS.log

http://superuser.com/questions/718805/how-to-repair-corrupt-system-files-from-a-installation-disc

if still not working I suggest perform in place upgrade or try to update to Windows 8.1

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:52 AM
  • Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The link you provided me with suggests repairing corruped files via the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image/ RestoreHealth command. However, in my case it does not work as I keep getting error 0x800f0906 along with the follwoing message:

"The source files could not be downloaded. Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."

Could you help me solve this issue please?

As to your other suggestion, would you mind exlaining to me why I should update my system to Windows 8.1? I have no intention of doing it for now.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

Please upload the DISM.log files into OneDrive and post us the link here. The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log.

Besides, for the CSI payload corrupt issue, please take a try to reset the Windows update components. Then try to run the command and check the results:

Follow this guide: How do I reset Windows Update components?

In addition, update the system to Windows 8.1 will make a better usage of the features and functions offered. Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 build on Windows 8 and Windows RT, to bring you enhancements in personalization, search, apps, the Windows Store, and cloud connectivity, and has the security and reliability features you expect from Windows. It's fast and made to work on a variety of devices—especially on the new generation of touch devices.

For more information regarding update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8. please see:

Update to Windows 8.1 from WIndows 8

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:53 AM
  • Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."

If we read the documentation, we might infer we can use any existing WinSxS as source?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825265.aspx

<quote>

You can restore and enable a feature that has previously been removed from the image. Use the /Source argument to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. The source of the files can by the Windows folder in a mounted image, for example c:\test\mount\Windows. You can also use a Windows side-by-side folder as the source of the files, for example z:\sources\SxS.

If you specify multiple /Source arguments, the files are gathered from the first location where they are found and the rest of the locations are ignored. If you do not specify a /Source for a feature that has been removed, the default location in the registry is used or, for online images, Windows Update (WU) is used.

Use /LimitAccess to prevent DISM from contacting WU for online images.

</quote>

That quote was actually from under the /Enable-Feature operand but the /Source: operand has wider scope.

Compare the briefer description of the same operand given later under the /Cleanup-Image operand

<quote>

Use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair, such as a path to the Windows directory of a mounted image.

If you specify multiple /Source arguments, the files are gathered from the first location where they are found and the rest of the locations are ignored. If you do not specify a /Source for a feature that has been removed, the default location in the registry is used or Windows Update (WU) is used for online images.

Use /LimitAccess to prevent DISM from contacting WU for repair of online images.

</quote>

Does this mean the functionality is limited or that they were just trying to avoid being redundant?   ; }

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:37 PM
  • This one is helpful for me.
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 1:18 PM