none
Wireless Network 802.11 GPO - Windows failed to apply Wireless Setting

Question

• Hello all,

I've created a Wireless Network 802.11 GPO using GPMC.MSC in Windows 10 Enterprise x 64 LTSB 1607 (Build 14393.693) and am getting the following issue when I try to use gpupdate.

The following warnings were encountered during computer policy processing:

Windows failed to apply the Wireless Group Policy settings. Wireless Group Policy settings might have its own log file.
    Please click on the "More information" link.
    User Policy update has completed successfully.

For more detailed information, review the event log or run gpresult /H GPReport.html from the command line to access information about Group Policy results.

When I run GPresult /R or /H the policy is getting applied, but the settings contained in the Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) policy are not working. 

Is this a known issue? If so, is there a fix? 

/////

On a side note, I can create the same policy and apply to Windows 7 computer (correction, not gpedit.msc) and it works fine.

Thanks!

• Edited by xerxes2985 Wednesday, March 08, 2017 2:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 10:12 PM

All replies

• Did you have another wireless GPO applying before ? Try checking group policy history as well..
    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 10:41 PM
  • Hi,
    Please check if you could find any related event logs in the event viewer, especially event 1085.
    If that is the case, you may have old GPO configured for Wireless Network as Narayanan said, then you need to remove the old wireless GPO extension, please refer to the similar thread as below:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/b64003d8-c3bc-47c4-b3e5-1c1a0ac4a595/windows-failed-to-apply-the-wireless-group-policy-settings-wireless-group-policy-settings-might?forum=winserverGP
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:54 AM
  • No, this computer is fresh with no other Wireless GPO applying.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Ok, I have event 1085. I don't understand what you mean by "Old GPO"? This computer has no other policies applied to it (I've made sure 1000%).

I WANT this policy to apply, I WANT "Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies" (using gpmc.msc) that I have configured to apply. I don't want to remove it.

I want to set this up (This works perfectly for Windows 7 machines) so that I can achieve the same functionality on Windows 10.

V/r

Jesse

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 2:14 PM
  • Hi Jesse,

Have you checked if the same error happens on other fresh computers? Or only this specific computer?

In addition, here is a blog regarding this event of a similar error, you could refer to the solution to try it manually and see if it helps:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/core/2015/01/08/event-id-1085-source-grouppolicy-windows-failed-to-apply-the-microsoft-disk-quota-settings-resolved/

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:04 AM
  • This occurs on any fresh Windows 10 computer. It also occurs on any existing Windows 10 computers. I attempted the resolution from the similar problem, and it didn't work.

It's almost like Microsoft just completely changed the way things work in Windows 10, just to mess with us. lol.

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tested on the other version of windows 10? And based on my research, no such information is found regarding Wireless Network 802.11 GPO not working on Windows 10 Enterprise x 64 LTSB 1607,

If that is the case, I would open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get more information from product team regarding this problem: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support

We will also keep research on this case, if any update, you will know.

Best regards,

Wendy

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:37 AM