locked
Mailbox sharing issue RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have an issue where I don't know which direction should I troubleshoot.

    In our organization we have 4 domains. We have several shared team mailboxes. We grant full access/send-as through security groups. For a mailbox we have one global security group for the users who need access in the same domain, and we have a domain local group for the users from other domains. This was working fine for a few years.

    Recently I got reports from a couple of users where the access to the mailbox is acting weird. The strange thing is that it only affects a couple of mailboxes and only a few people from the cross-domain security groups.

    Sometime it was working, and then they lost access, and after some time they were able to access again. I have tested with my account, same security group, same mailbox. I was able to access the mailbox, and they were not. If I removed the full access permission and added back they were able to access it for a while, then lost the access again. Most of the time when they don't have access they get the "Your mailbox appears to be unavailable. Try to access it again in 10 seconds. If you see this error again, contact your helpdesk" error message via OWA.

    For a test I have added the affected users into a universal group, granted access and it is working ever since.

    Could this be an AD replication issue? Or where should I start? The strange thing that I cannot find a pattern. As I can tell, only like 1% of the mailboxes are affected, and even that is sporadic as it works sometimes.

    Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:07 PM

Answers

  • Rather than a replication issue it sounds more like a connectivity issue.

    It really does sound more like an AD problem than an Exchange problem.

    Are all four domains in the same forest?  Have you considered making all the groups universal groups?  You might try with a couple of selected resources to see if it makes things better.


    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    • Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Thursday, July 28, 2016 12:49 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi Davey,

    Welcome to our forum.

    Did this issue occur on outlook?

    Did you try to use different browser to have a try?

    We could create a new mailbox on a new database, then grant full access permission to check if the issue persist.

    In addition to Ed’s suggestion that it is related to connected issue, we suggest you do the following steps for a test:

    1. Remove full access permission
    2. Move user mailbox to another database 
    3. Add full access permission

    Please check if there are any errors in application log and post them for our troubleshooting.

    Best Regard,

    Jim Xu


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

    • Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Thursday, July 28, 2016 12:49 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 6:25 AM

All replies

  • Rather than a replication issue it sounds more like a connectivity issue.

    It really does sound more like an AD problem than an Exchange problem.

    Are all four domains in the same forest?  Have you considered making all the groups universal groups?  You might try with a couple of selected resources to see if it makes things better.


    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    • Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Thursday, July 28, 2016 12:49 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi Davey,

    Welcome to our forum.

    Did this issue occur on outlook?

    Did you try to use different browser to have a try?

    We could create a new mailbox on a new database, then grant full access permission to check if the issue persist.

    In addition to Ed’s suggestion that it is related to connected issue, we suggest you do the following steps for a test:

    1. Remove full access permission
    2. Move user mailbox to another database 
    3. Add full access permission

    Please check if there are any errors in application log and post them for our troubleshooting.

    Best Regard,

    Jim Xu


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

    • Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xu Thursday, July 28, 2016 12:49 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 6:25 AM