none
Adding a WDS server to domain RRS feed

• Question

• We use MDT and WDS to connect to the share. We added an additional WDS server to assist us in imaging clients throughout the school district. I have read, on Johan's site, the ability to use the F11 to have an option of what WDS server the client would connect to. We set up WDS on another Server 2008 R2 and configured WDS exactly the same as the original one. We changed the settings in the registry on both servers to enable the option. However, when we network boot a client we do not have the F11 option showing. DHCP is handled on another server apart from the two WDS machines. Any help would be appreciated in getting this working.

Bob

Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:17 PM

All replies

• from what i remember there are options for this not within WDS but actually in DHCP...

you have to have your DHCP be aware of the fact there are multiple PXE-servers handling network boot (if this actually is what you are trying to achieve)
    i have had a similar issue with both Altiris PXE and WDS in the same net and actually solved it by using a script to shut down PXE on one and starting on the other in order to handle installations of thin clients and computers

while working on the solution i found many articles on the net about this and finally i just gave up on it as my knowledge in DHCP is far from even being basic

but i suggest you start looking into the DHCP configuration

Friday, May 24, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Thank you for the reply, however, I didn't remember anything about DHCP. I have read a few things on line and it appears to that we should be able to do it. I'll keep looking until I find the answer.
    Friday, May 24, 2013 11:51 AM
  • There are really two ways to handle the reference to your WDS server:

• IP Helper.  This is now the preferred method and can be assigned to the VLANs.  This can easily enable you to have more than one WDS server and the connection or switch or VLAN the user is on determines which WDS server they communicate with.
    • DHCP Options.  You can configure this by setting each scope with the different DHCP Boot Options (66/67) to point to the appropriate WDS server.

Make sure that your new clients are getting the appropriate IP Helper or DHCP Options to talk to whichever WDS they need to communicate with.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:24 PM
    Answerer