none
VPN connection from System tray does not work but works from Network Settings RRS feed

• Question

• User is on Windows 10 Pro x64 (latest build), she has connection for VPN to a Windows server and she connects using the system tray icon.

Today, that method did not work, it just shows "connecting..." and never connects.

I then go into Network settings and to the VPN section and connect there and it connects within 10 seconds.  I can replicate this issue a few times.  I then reboot the computer and both methods work.

Has anyone experience this before?  I haven't checked the logs to see if there would be any entries when trying to connect via system tray vs Network settings

Thanks,
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. If you have two or more VPN connections set up on your computer, ensure that only one is running and disconnect all other ones.

2. Check for any firewall and antivirus programs that may stop access to the VPN ports.  Temporarily disable them to determine if they are the cause.

TCP Port 1723 and GRE Protocol 47 must be opened/enabled for PPTP VPN connection

Some routers require PPTP pass-through enabled in the router

3. Try standard troubleshooting steps:

Reboot the computer

Delete and re-configure the VPN set up

Test the VPN on another computer/device on the same network. If it does not work, your network is stopping the VPN access.

Test the VPN on another network using the same device. If it does not work, your device has security software stopping the VPN access.

Also refer to the following article and check if it can help you.

VPN not working in Windows 10 – Fix VPN problems & issues

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/vpn-not-working-windows-10

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Hello,

I too have this issue.

• Running Windows 10, version 1803
    • Using Untangle (NG Firewall) as an IPSec VPN provider. Set up L2TP VPN server in Untangle.
    • Create a VPN connection from within Windows Settings. This is an L2TP connection with pre-shared key.
    • In legacy control panel network connections, right-click the relevant connection > properties > set security options to "Allow these protocols" and tick CHAP. (This option is not available from the modern settings UI, and can only be set here.)

Now when I right click on the wireless icon (bottom right system tray, near the time), and connect to the new VPN connection, it hangs on "Connecting to [servername]".

However when I go into Settings > VPN and connect from there, it connects within seconds.

This is very clearly a bug with the Windows UI / networking and should be escalated within Microsoft ASAP if MS are not already aware.

------ CRITIQUE OF PREVIOUS RESPONSE FROM TONY TAO ------

1. This is not relevant

2. "Check for any firewall and antivirus programs that may stop access to the VPN ports" - did not read and fully understand / digest original poster's issue. The issue is not connecting to the VPN, it's connecting using the system tray icon. I would be surprised if Tony Tao has any evidence suggesting that antivirus can specifically interfere with connecting to vpn using the system tray icon but not using the settings UI.

3. "Reboot the computer" - lol. No.

... etc

• Edited by hazymat Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:02 PM
  • Hello,

I've met the same problem with the new purchased laptop running Windows 10.

The log of successful VPN connection from "Settings > VPN":

CoId={F9F9E143-252E-45B9-BEB7-5C1ABA4DE521}: The user LAVENDER\User is trying to establish a link to the Remote Access Server for the connection named Z using the following device: 
    Server address/Phone Number = 193.210.169.18
    Device = WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    Port = VPN3-1
    MediaType = VPN.

CoId={F9F9E143-252E-45B9-BEB7-5C1ABA4DE521}: The user LAVENDER\User has successfully established a link to the Remote Access Server using the following device: 
    Port = VPN3-1
    MediaType = VPN

Unsuccessful connection from the tray or desktop shortcut:

CoId={E192CBA7-990A-4F37-A665-DE58145D817B}: The user LAVENDER\User is trying to establish a link to the Remote Access Server for the connection named Z using the following device: 
    Port = VPN3-1
    MediaType = VPN.

CoId={E192CBA7-990A-4F37-A665-DE58145D817B}: The user LAVENDER\User dialed a connection named Z which has terminated. The reason code returned on termination is 829.

Please fix.

Monday, November 26, 2018 2:55 PM
  • It seems, the answer here is just kind of a 'default' answer for all VPN questions and has nothing to do with the question above. 

I have the same problem for months already and even after 1803 and 1809 update it remains. The only difference i have, after reboot VPN also works out of the wireless tray icon in about 1 out of 10 attempts.

BTW: In Windows 7 this worked perfect, congratulations to MS for rewriting this code part and making it worse.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:26 PM
  • I haven't tested fully but have just run into this issue with one of my clients and after pulling hair our found the fix to connect via the network control panel in windows 10. 

I then ran a taskbar repair script I found and that seems to have fixed the system tray option now. 

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

• Proposed as answer by Gregobaird Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:49 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:48 AM
  • It's 2019 and still not fixed...

Maybe Tao is a bot? Because making a human copy paste such "answers" is a clear waste of human resources.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:45 AM
  • We have many clients having the same issue.  The quickest workaround for our clients, until MS resolves the issue, is to create a shortcut for the VPN connector.  Use rasphone -d "VPN connection name" for the shortcut location.

Thanks,

Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:06 PM
  • We are also experiencing the same problem. In the last few months it comes more often and often by many of our clients and it is really embarassing to tell them try from the Settings (becouse interestingly from there it works).

Friday, February 15, 2019 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

1. If you have two or more VPN connections set up on your computer, ensure that only one is running and disconnect all other ones.

2. Check for any firewall and antivirus programs that may stop access to the VPN ports.  Temporarily disable them to determine if they are the cause.

TCP Port 1723 and GRE Protocol 47 must be opened/enabled for PPTP VPN connection

Some routers require PPTP pass-through enabled in the router

You missed the whole point!  It's not that he can't connect with the VPN, it's that from the systray it doesn't connect but from Settings it does.  Why?  That is the question.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 8:41 PM
  • User is on Windows 10 Pro x64 (latest build), she has connection for VPN to a Windows server and she connects using the system tray icon.

Today, that method did not work, it just shows "connecting..." and never connects.

I then go into Network settings and to the VPN section and connect there and it connects within 10 seconds.  I can replicate this issue a few times.  I then reboot the computer and both methods work.

Has anyone experience this before?  I haven't checked the logs to see if there would be any entries when trying to connect via system tray vs Network settings

Thanks,

I've been having this problem and so have some other users.  I found the Settings workaround last night and then I asked a particularly persistent user that had been having this problem for a while.  He connected using the Settings workaround the first time.

I have noticed that when I connect via the systray, that even though it shows a status of "Connecting...", the VPN is connected.  I can access internal resources (which require a VPN connection) just fine.  It appears to be a GUI issue.  Something isn't reporting back (or the reporting back is ignored) but the connection is completed.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 8:48 PM
  • I have the same problem - able to connect to VPN from the VPN Settings app, but not from the systray pop-op.  But unlike rzeister, it isn't actually connecting - it says "Connecting" but if I try to access anything on the VPN network, I cannot.  After connecting from the VPN Settings app, it works fine.

Come on Microsoft, it can't be hard. Fix it!

Sunday, April 28, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Thank you...works like a charm.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:27 PM
  • I just detected I am having the same exact issue. It doesn't work from system tray menu (Wi-Fi), but it works on Settings.

Windows 10 1903, just released.

Friday, May 24, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Hello all,

This sounds like an intriguing problem. One way of trying to work out what is happening might be to use Event Tracing for Windows.

Sharing the trace data in this forum (which will almost certainly be necessary) does have some security considerations. I have included warning text, such as that below, when suggesting this course of action (for VPN related problems) in other threads.

• The trace data will probably contain details about IP addresses, the pre-shared key value (if a pre-shared key is used), and the username. The information will vary depending upon decisions made about what to trace, but for a problem of this type those type of values will be present. Unless unencrypted (PAP) authentication is used, passwords are not revealed; private keys are also not revealed.

In this case, I would suggest using a ".bat" file (running under an administrator account) to perform the capture (taking the name of the output .etl file as argument).

@ logman start VPN -ets -p Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Process 0x10 -o %1%
    @ logman update VPN -ets -p "IKEEXT Trace Provider" 0xFFFFFFFF 255
    @ logman update VPN -ets -p Microsoft-Windows-RRAS
    @ logman update VPN -ets -p {b9f181e1-e221-43c6-9ee4-7f561315472f} 0xFFFFFFFF 255
    @ logman update VPN -ets -p {e6dec100-4e0f-4927-92be-e69d7c15c821} 0xFFFFFFFF 255
    @ echo Reproduce problem now.
    @ pause
    @ logman stop VPN -ets
    @ logman start "NT Kernel Logger" -ets -p "Windows Kernel Trace" 0x10000001 -o %1% -a
    @ logman stop "NT Kernel Logger" -ets

The Microsoft-Windows-RRAS is generally useful for all Windows client VPN problems. The "IKEEXT Trace Provider" is very useful for L2TP/IPsec and IKEv2 connections; I included this provider because some posters have mentioned that the VPN connection is established even though the UI makes no progress.

The Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Process and "Windows Kernel Trace" are included to make it easier to identify the process IDs of ShellExperienceHost, SystemSettings, explorer, and RuntimeBroker and svchost processes; if these providers are of particular concern, they can be omitted, leaving:

@ logman start VPN -ets -p "IKEEXT Trace Provider" 0xFFFFFFFF 255 -o %1%
    @ logman update VPN -ets -p Microsoft-Windows-RRAS
    @ logman update VPN -ets -p {b9f181e1-e221-43c6-9ee4-7f561315472f} 0xFFFFFFFF 255
    @ logman update VPN -ets -p {e6dec100-4e0f-4927-92be-e69d7c15c821} 0xFFFFFFFF 255
    @ echo Reproduce problem now.
    @ pause
    @ logman stop VPN -ets

The DbgIdRSDS events in the resulting trace file indicate the type of activity that is captured by the WPP providers.

{e6dec100-4e0f-4927-92be-e69d7c15c821} adds:

DbgIdRSDS 798cb1ef-7b05-8ac6-b03c-264c89b61da8 1 DAMediaManager.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS 8ebe81c9-6335-39db-3c05-b9c1db9b70aa 1 MBMediaManager.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS b8d3bae1-38f3-af63-2120-128f5fd09e3c 1 EthernetMediaManager.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS 936be0b6-107a-7898-00e5-58e441f2ca70 1 RasMediaManager.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS e930d96b-bf6f-d18f-e18b-0b2be7bf492c 1 WlanMediaManager.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS 95e0a075-4454-05e6-f789-fbed39f14584 1 NetworkMobileSettings.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS 031ac639-ff5c-e8bc-161b-9a248c2df789 1 NetworkUXBroker.pdb

{b9f181e1-e221-43c6-9ee4-7f561315472f} adds:

DbgIdRSDS 9347cd19-40e9-44e9-1834-72b0667919a3 1 cmintegrator.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS a1ac8628-16f7-deee-0101-5dd58a429b87 1 rasmans.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS 699e2c30-458d-d1de-f31c-35376fbe4174 1 rasman.pdb
    DbgIdRSDS ab4be77c-fef3-b973-7bdc-e358169f7c09 1 rasapi32.pdb

"IKEEXT Trace Provider" adds:

DbgIdRSDS 7787e695-8f73-6f4d-6a72-4861dc9b9360 1 ikeext.pdb

I can't reproduce the problem. The only immediately obvious difference between the two ways of starting the connection is which process hosts the User Interface: ShellExperienceHost or SystemSettings. The selected providers will hopefully indicate at what stage in the process of establishing a VPN connection that problems start to arise. If that is a success then further tracing with different providers my well be necessary to focus in on the problem or even more radical steps (like attaching a debugger to ShellExperienceHost to check for exceptions being thrown and their origin).

If you can reproduce the problem and are comfortable about sharing the trace data then please do so.

Gary

Sunday, May 26, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Well, it's a mystery.  A few weeks ago I was reliably able to reproduce this problem on two separate Windows machines,  The VPN would connect fine from the Settings app, but if you tried to connect from the system tray option, it'd just sit there sulking.

Just tried again today, to see if I could do all that logging that Gary was asking for.  But now it works fine.  On both machines, both running Windows 10 Home 1809.

Sunday, May 26, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Hello all,

Despite having been frequently using the System Tray to start VPN connections over the past few weeks, I did not encounter this problem myself until yesterday - the day after my last posting!

For VPN connections started by the System Tray, Network Settings or rasphone.exe, it is ultimately the RRAS API function RasDialW (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/ras/nf-ras-rasdialw) that manages the connection process. This function has a pointer to a callback routine as one of its arguments. The documentation for this callback routine (RasDialFunc1, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/desktop/api/ras/nc-ras-rasdialfunc1) says:

• A RasDial connection operation is suspended during a call to a RasDialFunc1 callback function. For that reason, the RasDialFunc1 implementation generally returns as quickly as possible.

In the problematic case, a callback into the RuntimeBroker process is (for unknown reasons) not returning. I was using an L2TP/IPsec connection and the IPsec tunnel was established but the RasDial progress halted before any L2TP packets in the tunnel were processed.

Neither the tracing that I suggeted nor other debugging revealed any obvious reason for a RasDialFunc callback not to return.

One analysis tool that I use works best when the processes that it is attached to run to completion, but it can make a "best-effort" at detaching (the target process might crash sometime after the detach if operations started during the analysis complete later). I traced the RuntimeBroker used by ShellExperienceHost and the "Event Viewer" shows that it (silently) crashed after it was detached and that ShellExperienceHost (silently) crashed 13 minutes later (possibly when I next tried to use it and when it wanted to communicate with its RuntimeBroker). Both processes restarted automatically and the System Tray VPN start functionality started working again.

Since VPN functionality is only peripheral to this problem I won't pursue it any further "just for fun" but will investigate a little more if I encounter it personally again.

Gary

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 6:11 AM
  • I upgraded to the May release of Windows 10 today (build 1903) and hit this very same problem. But I couldn't get the VPN to work from any interface. I did find a work around and wrote it up on my blog:

https://www.tachytelic.net/2019/06/vpn-connections-not-working-windows-10-1903-update/

This work around uses rasphone.exe, the traditional interface used in old version of windows and it seems to work perfectly via this method. 

Hope this helps someone, I actually prefer it to the normal method in Windows 10 because it displays more information in the connection dialog.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:23 PM
  • Afraid to say this is a "me too" reply. 

I haven't found a solution. 

It seems to strike randomly, and annoyingly you can't pin the "modern settings" shortcut to the VPN to the start menu. 

The taskbar repair script hasn't helped :-/ 

Very frustrating. 

Regards

Jules

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 7:33 AM
  • +1 for having this issue.  It has been happening intermittently for several months.  I have instructed VPN users to either reboot or use the VPN Settings page to connect.  It happens infrequently enough that they/I cannot always remember the workaround...  It would be nice to have this re mediated.
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:08 PM
  • It's been a year and this problem still exists. It's truly embarrassing!

MS had so many chances to fix this. 

Monday, September 9, 2019 7:46 PM
  • Can confirm this issue. Only tray icon problem.

What is so difficult to fix this??

Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:40 PM
  • Wow, just hit this issue today, so me too.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:25 PM
  • We are having the same issue here on 1903.

Please can you fix this MS ? We will buy more Office365 subscriptions, promise.

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:07 PM
  • We are also getting more and more complains from customers every day. Most of them are using version 1903.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:34 AM
  • Same problem here. 

MS - please fix this bug!

Friday, September 27, 2019 1:12 PM
  • When users update to 1903, the problem is present on more clients than before.
    Also it's permanently broken (restarts never fixes the problem, only way to connect is the workaround.)

Problem reported exactly 1 year ago, only getting worse.
    Nice going Microsoft!....

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Same problem.

A few months ago it started hitting our laptop users who have been using corporate VPN from system tray for months. At this point most (if not all) 700+ of them are affected, including the IT team...

Microsoft - please do some needful here and, at the very least, reply to this thread and acknowledge the problem.

Monday, October 7, 2019 3:27 PM
  • I found this and it worked for me.

You can revert windows 10 network flyout menu in the taskbar to windows 8.1's style by doing the following:

Open regedit (WIN+R and type regedit.exe)
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Settings\Network
    Take ownership of the “Network” key/folder (right click, Permissions)
    Select “Advanced” in the Permissions window
    In the Advanced window, select “Change” where the owner field is (at the top of the window)
    Type in your username and save your changes.
    Close the advanced window
    Now select “Administrators” in the security tab
    Make sure “Full control” is selected, then apply changes
    Now that’s done, double click “ReplaceVan”
    Change it’s value to 2

Thanks,

Will

• Edited by Will_Dub Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:32 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:31 PM
  • I found a fix for this today after doing a bit of research out there.

To sum up, follow steps below:

1 - Make sure Windows Firewall is switched ON for all profiles (Public, Domain, and Private);

2 - Open a Windows PowerShell window as administrator and issue command below (apparently it is a Task Bar fix command):

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

3 - Your VPN connection from the task bar's network tray should work just fine.

Credit to link below:
    https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-10-vpn-doesnt-connect-from-system-tray-but-it-connects-from-network-settings/

You're welcome. :)

Dan

Daniel Bragante MCSA Windows Server 2008

• Proposed as answer by DanielBragante Friday, October 25, 2019 12:31 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 12:31 PM
  • Thank you so much for this!
    Friday, November 8, 2019 9:17 PM