Service Manager 2012 items that should be saved and can be exported/moved when migrating from TEST to PRODUCTION RRS feed

• Question

• What items can I export and save when moving from TEST to PROD?

What precautions should I take in TEST to avoid headaches in PROD?  I know I need to create various unsealed, custom management packs but beyond that do I need to recreate Lists, Connectors, Templates, etc.  

My assumptions is much of this would be captured in the MPs but, for example, with the AD connector, it won't let me choose a custom MP so my worry is that, even though I can easily recreate the connector I might loose all of the Support Group permissions, work flows and other CI related configurations when moving to PROD.

Friday, March 8, 2013 7:40 PM

Answers

• Actually I see Andrew Barton has put a solution for this on the TechNet Gallery now here:
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Copying-User-Roles-Between-b5460847

Rob Ford scsmnz.net
    Cireson www.cireson.com
    For a free SCSM 2012 Auto-Close app click here

• Edited by Rob.Ford Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Herb Winhoven Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:37 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:20 AM
  • Lists, templates, etc are stored in Management Packs. If you created these customisations in their own MPs, you generally can import these into another system as long as they don't reference other MPs that are unavailable on the other system.

Connectors are EnterpriseManagementObjects just like Incidents or Change Requests. These are not stored in Management Packs and have to be recreated. 

Sealed MPs containing such things as class extensions and forms can also be imported on another system and internal Guids are always the same for sealed MP elements so if they are referenced from code they won't change.

You can also transfer queues, groups, etc. However, you will need to recreate your user roles.

Rob Ford scsmnz.net
    Cireson www.cireson.com

• Edited by Rob.Ford Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Herb Winhoven Monday, March 11, 2013 11:47 AM
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:37 AM

All replies

• Lists, templates, etc are stored in Management Packs. If you created these customisations in their own MPs, you generally can import these into another system as long as they don't reference other MPs that are unavailable on the other system.

Connectors are EnterpriseManagementObjects just like Incidents or Change Requests. These are not stored in Management Packs and have to be recreated. 

Sealed MPs containing such things as class extensions and forms can also be imported on another system and internal Guids are always the same for sealed MP elements so if they are referenced from code they won't change.

You can also transfer queues, groups, etc. However, you will need to recreate your user roles.

Rob Ford scsmnz.net
    Cireson www.cireson.com

• Edited by Rob.Ford Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Herb Winhoven Monday, March 11, 2013 11:47 AM
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:37 AM
  • Thanks Rob, will users and their roles permission transfer over?

*Edit: Sorry, just realized you already answered that.

Thanks again!

Saturday, March 9, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Can this be done for views?

I notice that it wont let me choose a custom management pack when creating a view.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:23 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Are we 100% certaing that we cannot export and reimort Roles?  This is a major sticking point for us but we will recreate if need be.

Thanks.

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:16 PM
  • I don't know of a way to transfer roles myself. Start another question off and see if anyone else does. As for views, it depends on where they were created as to which MP they are in.

Rob Ford scsmnz.net
    Cireson www.cireson.com

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Actually I see Andrew Barton has put a solution for this on the TechNet Gallery now here:
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Copying-User-Roles-Between-b5460847

Rob Ford scsmnz.net
    Cireson www.cireson.com

• Edited by Rob.Ford Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Herb Winhoven Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:37 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:20 AM
  • Yes, saw that, thank you.
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:37 PM