none
Microsoft Exchange Server Active Directory Attribute RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with Auto Account Configuration in Outlook 2010 with Exchange 2003;

I am using the Office 2010 Group Policy ADM Templates to configure settings in Office and have just enabled the setting to Automatically configure profile based on Active Directory Primary SMTP address. When I test this on a client, I receive the following;

The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

On pressing okay I am then presented with the following;

Microsoft Exchange

I have replaced the username with user user and the actual server name with SERVERNAME but otherwise it is accurate. What I am not sure of is where it is pulling the 'Microsoft Exchange server' field from. If I manually type either simply our domain name, or one of our exchange server names it loads fine. So I am not sure of why or where it is pulling this string from. It looks like some kind of canonical name of an OU perhaps, but I cannot find anything by that name.

I am sure it is something ludicrously simple and I apologise in advance if I am asking a very silly question!

Many thanks in advance for your help/time.

James

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:29 AM

Answers

• That information is in the user's Outlook profile. It's in the HKCU section of the registry. Making the users Windows profile a roaming profile would, I think, ensure the information follows the user -- at a cost.

There's no AutoDiscover in Exchange 2003. The Outlook client retrieves the information from the Domain Controller.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:12 AM
  • Without AutoDiscover, PRF files would be another option to automatically configure Outlook: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062(v=office.14).aspx We used to use login scripts to point Outlook at PRF files so we didn't need to a redeploy custom Office installs. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can dig out the details.

I hope this helps,
    Mark.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Hi James,

We created a prf (the link in my previous post should get you started) and placed it somewhere that everyone could get to such as the netlogon share. We tweaked this a bit with a text editor after the Office Customization Tool had generated it. From memory, the only tweaks we needed were in the [General] section but I can't remember the details. I've pasted a copy of this section from a PRF file we used to use but read up about the various settings to get it to suit your needs (and circumvent the issues Rich mentioned about overwriting existing settings):

[General]
    Custom=1
    ProfileName=Outlook
    DefaultProfile=Yes
    OverwriteProfile=Yes
    ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent=TRUE
    BackupProfile=No

We then imported a reg file via login scripts (saved in the same location as above) that pointed Outlook at the PRF file (way before Group Policy Preferences was around!). A copy of this is below and you'll obviously need to change the Office version and paths to suit your environment:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Setup]
    "First-Run"=hex:00
    "ImportPRF"="\\\\domain.tld\\netlogon\\OutlookConfiguration.PRF"

I hope this helps,
    Mark

Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hi James

That name that you see there is from the Configuration container in AD.  You can view this using ADSIEdit but it does not appear in AD Users and Computers.

Although I've never tried this setting with Exchange 2003 I'm fairly sure that because autodiscover only works with Exchange 2007+ the Outlook client isn't receiving the correct information from AD to connect to your 2003 server.

Steve

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I have found the Microsoft Exchange container in ADSI Edit - Is it therefore building the string based on the information of the Administrative Groups container nested within that?

I had heard of problems with auto discover and Exchange 2003/Outlook 2010 but I was slightly thrown by the fact that if I simply type the domain name in to the Exchange Server name field it finds the mailbox and sets up correctly.

Many thanks,

James

• Proposed as answer by kacaan Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:18 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kacaan Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:18 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Yes that is the distinguished name of the server object in the configuration container.

The only answer to get Autodiscover working properly would be to upgrade to a newer version.

Steve

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Ah okay I see thank you.

Hmmm thought you might say that. Most irritating! We have an Exchange upgrade scheduled 'soon' but that's been the case for the last few years unfortunately!

What I need, is a way of ensuring that once a user configures their account for the first time, that it then remains persistent no matter which system they log on to. I thought this may have been possible by using Folder Redirection to redirect the Application Data folder but that appears not to be working. Where does the configuration file/registry key(s) for the Outlook account setup reside?

Many thanks,

James

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:17 AM
  • That information is in the user's Outlook profile. It's in the HKCU section of the registry. Making the users Windows profile a roaming profile would, I think, ensure the information follows the user -- at a cost.

There's no AutoDiscover in Exchange 2003. The Outlook client retrieves the information from the Domain Controller.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:12 AM
  • Without AutoDiscover, PRF files would be another option to automatically configure Outlook: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062(v=office.14).aspx We used to use login scripts to point Outlook at PRF files so we didn't need to a redeploy custom Office installs. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can dig out the details.

I hope this helps,
    Mark.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:09 AM
  • That'll work unless you're always undoing changes to the profile that the user's made. :-)

Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:41 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I had started to hear mutterings about PRF files and it's something I was going to look into...

If you did have any details, perhaps of how you achieved this, that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Rich, thanks also for your comments, thankfully we don't have to undo users 'doings' too often, but I'll bear that one in mind!

James

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Hi James,

We created a prf (the link in my previous post should get you started) and placed it somewhere that everyone could get to such as the netlogon share. We tweaked this a bit with a text editor after the Office Customization Tool had generated it. From memory, the only tweaks we needed were in the [General] section but I can't remember the details. I've pasted a copy of this section from a PRF file we used to use but read up about the various settings to get it to suit your needs (and circumvent the issues Rich mentioned about overwriting existing settings):

[General]
    Custom=1
    ProfileName=Outlook
    DefaultProfile=Yes
    OverwriteProfile=Yes
    ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent=TRUE
    BackupProfile=No

We then imported a reg file via login scripts (saved in the same location as above) that pointed Outlook at the PRF file (way before Group Policy Preferences was around!). A copy of this is below and you'll obviously need to change the Office version and paths to suit your environment:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Setup]
    "First-Run"=hex:00
    "ImportPRF"="\\\\domain.tld\\netlogon\\OutlookConfiguration.PRF"

I hope this helps,
    Mark

Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Hiya Mark,

Thank you for your reply, it would appear my alerts have stopped working so I've just seen your reply unfortunately!

As it happens off the back of your first hint, I managed to work out a very similar solution myself, which reassuringly is not too dissimilar to what you've just posted!

So thank you very much for your time Mark and Rich, was very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

James

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:41 PM