Forefront Client Security: never-ending trial for the server? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a trial version of Forefront Client Security on a client's server late last year, after being impressed with Security Essentials. He uses the server (using Server 2003) more in a workgroup environment than a domain environment: all the client machines are managed locally (and have their own anti-virus). So, the antivirus basically just needs to protect the server. I've had it on the to-do list to register the program to a paid license, but it never prompted and seemed to be fine. Well, today I decided to investigate: trying to open the Security Console, where you manage users I would assume, tells me the trial has expired... yet it's still getting updates. It's still showing in the task manager providing protection in the background.

If Forefront only needs to protect the server itself, and none of the client machines, is there any reason to even upgrade from the trial?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

After the evaluation version of FCS expires, the database will no longer accept client data, and the FCS console will not display.

If you want to purchase FCS, please understand that Forefront Client Security has been superseded by Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010. This new addition to the Forefront family of security products builds on System Center Configuration Manager 2007 to provide desktop security and management in a single infrastructure.

You could find more by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/endpoint-protection/en/us/previous-version.aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, June 6, 2011 2:50 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 7:53 AM