none
W10 & Nokia Lumia Icon - issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am a Nokia Lumia 929 (Icon) user - have always loved Nokia phones. I tried the iPhone once, but went back when the Icon was announced.

I have performed the Windows 10 Mobile update on it.  Overall - I like the update, but there are a couple of issues I've noticed, one of which is costing me added $.

The phone is NOKIA Lumia 929, Carrier: Verizon Wireless.  Windows 10 Mobile on 2GB RAM, Version 1607, OS Build 10.0.14393.67, on FW 02540.00019.15024.38022 - Hardware version 1.0.0.0.

The first problem - quite often, while at home, the phone will stop seeing/connectiong to my WiFi network, both the 2.4 and 5 GHz access points of my Linksys EA5200 wireless router (latest FW).  I'll upload a large picture, etc - and find it is going slowly - then realize - it's using my wireless data plan to do it.  My data plan usage is near the monthly limit, even though it at 1/3 of the month's billing cycle, last month's was over and it cost extra.  I can't see/connect to the wireless access point, but after a phone reboot - it sees it and can connect - until this happens again.

To not incur such much data charges, I try to turn off the cellular data - then everytime I get a text message from someone - I don't get the text - just a message that shows Media Content in the message - a binary file that I have to "download".  This happens every time I receive a text with cellular data turned off.

I am tech savvy - a retired support engineer for a line of PC products using Windows and consider myself fairly loyal to Microsoft.  What gives?  I've issues with sluggishness of Win10 (desktop) but that's for another post in a different forum.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 11:18 PM

All replies

• For what it's worth, I just got an Icon and upgraded it to W10 Mobile 1607. It does the same thing. It won't connect to WiFi. After a reboot, it connects just fine. This happens daily. It is a real bummer because it maxed out my data plan before I realized what was happening, and this is definitely not ok.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:45 PM
  • I recently took my phone off the Windows insider program and am at 10.0.14393.693. Alo have a Lumia Icon, which I love. However, I am experiencing the same issue. I have 3 access points in my house, so there is not an issue with signal strength. Most times, after waking the phone up in the morning, it requires a reboot to get an ip address. It seems to be a dhcp issue because it will connect many times but have no internet access because it appears to not have an up address. Hope this is fixed soon!
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 12:57 PM
  • This is not an answer to your September 15th, 2016 post regarding the Nokia 929 challenge.  But I need help with mine.  It is February 2019 and I lost my Nokia 929 and ordered a replacement from a third party seller.  Sadly, the unit came with the default Windows 8.1 OS.  The Windows Media Creation Tool needed to update to Windows 10 is no longer available.  

Do you happen to have a copy of that tool for my needed upgrade?

Jerome Cherry

jerome.cherry@outlook.com

Jerome

Sunday, February 17, 2019 5:06 PM