none
use DPM 2012 to backup private clouds consisting of non-clustered hyper-v hosts (VMM 2012 powers the private clouds) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are looking to evaluate DPM 2012 as the means to backup our private clouds that compose of several non-clustered hyper-v servers that are managed by a VMM 2012 SP1 server. There are several private clouds defined in VMM, each cloud encompassing multiple non-clustered hosts.

Currently we have BackupExec backup up each host and that runs fine, however it doesn't play well with migrated-VMs. For example, if we have a couple of virtual web servers that we want to backup weekly we have to explicitly select those VMs from the host to be backed up in the weekly job. This is fine until you migrate one of the VMs to another host. BackupExec can't detect that the VM has been moved and errors out as it is trying to back it up from the host that it was moved from (errors because the VM is no longer there). Additionally, the migrated VM is not backed up until you go into backup exec, modify the weekly job and explicitly add the VM in the new location. Obviously this introduces some manual intervention in what is generally supposed to be a seamless process.  Also, keep in mind that the migrations do not happen during the backup window (that would be madness, I know :) )

We've confirmed that BackupExec 2012 cannot backup private clouds created with VMM (it just doesn't detect them). Detecting the private clouds defined in VMM and backing up the VMs using private cloud-based job would be PERFECT (kind of like in a hyper-v cluster - the cluster object and all hosts show up in the backup job, and VMs are backed up regardless of which host they are on) as opposed to host-based jobs. Unfortunately this is currently unachievable with BackupExec.

So the million dollar question is - does DPM 2012 support backing up VMs from VMM 2012-defined clouds?  I've searched through the forums and the internet, but was only able to find info on how to backup stuff to the (external, ms hosted) cloud, and not how to backup your own private clouds using DPM.

Cheers,

Max
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think this might solve your question.

In fact look under the topic: "Protecting Hyper-V machines using Live Migration"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx

The exceptions:

• Support for Live Migration protection is available only on servers running Windows Server 2012.
      • Backup to Tape (Disk-to-Tape or Disk-to-Tape-to-Tape) are not supported in this configuration.
      • DPM does a one-time consistency check for all Live Migrations that includes storage migration.
      • When a Live Migration with storage migration happens, Hyper-V reorganizes the VHD or VHDx; so, there will be a one-time spike in DPM backup data size.
      • Automatic consistency check should be enabled at the protection group level for protection under virtual machine mobility scenarios.

It's doing common things uncommonly well that brings succes.

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Hey Dieter, thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if the live migration method is supported even if the servers are not clustered (In 2008 R2 that is not a possibility, but i think i heard somewhere that in 2012 you can live-migrate over the network even if the servers are not clustered).?

Cheers,

Max

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:27 PM
  • This is in fact possible.

More info here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134199.aspx

It is also referred to as "shared nothing" live migration

It's doing common things uncommonly well that brings succes.

• Marked as answer by Maxim M Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:17 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:54 PM