Installing Hyper-V inside VMware Workstation 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to install Hyper-V inside VMware Workstation 7.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:00 AM

Answers

• That is not possible. VMware workstation, Microsoft Virtual PC and Virtual Server are all type 2 hypervisors, which means they are applications that run inside an ordinary OS. VMware ESX, Xen and Microsoft Hyper-V are type 1 hypervisors, meaning that they are essentially operating systems modified to run other operating systems. Type 1 hypervisors must be installed directly on physical hardware. They cannot be installed inside another virtualization engine.

VMware workstation as a type 2 hypervisor cannot host Hyper-V. But Hyper-V can host a type 2 hypervisor. A virtual machine running on Hyper-V can run, for example, VMware workstation.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:07 PM

All replies

• That is not possible. VMware workstation, Microsoft Virtual PC and Virtual Server are all type 2 hypervisors, which means they are applications that run inside an ordinary OS. VMware ESX, Xen and Microsoft Hyper-V are type 1 hypervisors, meaning that they are essentially operating systems modified to run other operating systems. Type 1 hypervisors must be installed directly on physical hardware. They cannot be installed inside another virtualization engine.

VMware workstation as a type 2 hypervisor cannot host Hyper-V. But Hyper-V can host a type 2 hypervisor. A virtual machine running on Hyper-V can run, for example, VMware workstation.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:07 PM
  • That is disappointing.  I was planning to test out Hyper-V failover cluster on the virtualized environment.  This essentially means that it is not possible? or there is some other way around of achieving it?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:47 PM
  • There is some indication that it is possible to install Windows Server 2008 Core and enable Hyper-V and Failover Clustering for some VERY limited tests scenario.

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=10175

Here is what respected MVP Aidan Finn has to say about it...

"You can even create VM’s on the hosts.  However, the hardware requirements are not passed through to the VM’s and therefore the hypervisor never starts up.  That means you cannot start up those VM’s.

Why would you care?  You certainly cannot do it in a production scenario.  But you might find it handy when doing some demos, lab work or testing of clustering or VMM."

Obviously not a supported configuration and probably not the ideal way to test out Hyper-V.

David A. Bermingham, Director of Product Management, SteelEye Technology
    Monday, February 1, 2010 2:14 PM
  • There is some indication that it is possible to install Windows Server 2008 Core and enable Hyper-V and Failover Clustering for some VERY limited tests scenario.

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=10175

Here is what respected MVP Aidan Finn has to say about it...

"You can even create VM’s on the hosts.  However, the hardware requirements are not passed through to the VM’s and therefore the hypervisor never starts up.  That means you cannot start up those VM’s.

Why would you care?  You certainly cannot do it in a production scenario.  But you might find it handy when doing some demos, lab work or testing of clustering or VMM."

Obviously not a supported configuration and probably not the ideal way to test out Hyper-V.

The hypervisor doesn't start, so I don't see the point.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:09 AM
  • That is disappointing.  I was planning to test out Hyper-V failover cluster on the virtualized environment.  This essentially means that it is not possible? or there is some other way around of achieving it?

To run Hyper-V, you must install it on bare metal, a physical machine. There is no workaround.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:09 AM
  • Thanks for the answers.  But, I am highly disappointed that it does not work on VMware or any other Virtualization Software such as Virtual PC or Virtual Server!!!!

I mean, I was planning to build Hyper-V Failover Clusters for test lab.  This really comes in as the last nail in the coffin.  Really disappointed.

You all are saying that if one wants to build Hyper-V Failover Cluster, you would need two machines? This really @$$$$.............. 

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Hi,

The answer is YES. If you want to build a Hyper-V Failover cluster, you need two physical machines at least. Think about it, how could the VMs failover if you only have one computer?

I don’t think you can perform a failover only with one computer on other hypervisor virtualization platform. A Hyper-V Failover Cluster means that when one node down, another node can hold all the VMs.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:53 AM
  • IS Hyper-V R2 performance better than VMware Workstation 7 ?
    • Edited by microcloud Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:03 PM
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 6:31 AM
  • Does Hyper-V R2 performance better than VMware Workstation 7 ?

Does VMware ESX performance better than VMware Workstation 7?

You can't compare Hyper-V with VMware station, Hyper-V is base on hypervisor and it's a hardware virtualization technology.
    • Proposed as answer by Hokkien Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:02 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by John Paul Cook Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:44 PM
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 7:00 AM
  • I think Microcloud is refering to the Server 2008 r2  hyper-V server role.

Windows Server 2008 r2 x64 has a free Hyper-v ( type 2). It is comparable to VMWARE workstation 7.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:11 AM

but  , VMware workstation can not be installed on Hyper-V Virtual machine
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Soory, But the VMware Vsphere and VMware ESX are possible install in vmware workstation.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:41 PM
  • Are you asking a question or making a statement?  It seems like it is possible, but I have never tried it.

http://akns.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/esx-40-install-on-workstation-65/

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:59 PM
  • With respect, you can install ESXi and most likely Hyper-V inside Workstation 7 or 7.1 virtual machine. If not, then why did I succeed? with no hard work at all, just create a virtual machine for Windows Server 2008 x64 and install Hyper-V there, ESXi has seperate option, and it is called ESXi, and it works just well!
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:58 AM

This isn't 100% correct.  You can run ESX 3.02 on VMware workstation and boot up Virtual Machines.  
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:11 PM
  • ESX 3.02 didn't require VT, that's why you could run it, but any modern hypervisor uses VT. (or AMD's equivalent)  VM's don't see VT so you can't run a modern hypervisor in a VM.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:28 PM
  • You can run vSphere 4.0 inside a VM and it works fine.

There must be a way of getting Hyper-v to run as a guest.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:30 PM
  • No, no possible way without emulating VT for the VM which none of the VM solutions do as far as I know.

ESX and ESXi don't require VT, that's how vSphere can run in a VM.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Proposed as answer by Varsada Monday, November 15, 2010 4:06 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:01 PM
  • notification for all 1- You can run Vsphere with all features inside VMware worksattion 7.0 and i built it and access to all VMs from outside 2- Microsoft Hyper-V can't run inside VMware worksattion ad we can't test the scenario So this is big mistake and we can't test this scenario like VMware im sorry for said that
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:50 AM
  • I  installed and tested vsphere on vmware work station it works fine. i am looking to install hyperv also, but no clue how to do that.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Hello,

you can install the Hyper-V Core on VM Workstation no Problem. You can build a Hyper-V Cluster in the VMWorstation. But you Cant start a VM on the virtualized Hyper-V.

I Test the Cluster Update to SP1 on my Notebook with VMWare Workstation.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:23 PM
  • You can run Hyper-V Server 2K8 R2 SP1 in VMware Workstation (my version 7.1.4) .

Sunday, August 7, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Yes, you can run Hyper-V in VMware ESXi v5.
    I just successfully did it with ease following the steps in these links.

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/07/how-to-enable-support-for-nested-64bit.html

http://www.veeam.com/blog/nesting-hyper-v-with-vmware-workstation-8-and-esxi-5.html

~ RealManage IT
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:18 PM
  • I'm sorry to say, and I don't know where you get your information from John, but I have successfully installed Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 on a Vmware Virtual machine and running a virtual machine inside the virtual Hyper-V host!
    • Proposed as answer by NeoCriterion Monday, July 2, 2012 3:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by NeoCriterion Monday, July 2, 2012 3:01 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:38 AM
  • You can install it on VMWare Workstation 8 and ESXi 5.0.

I have sucessfully installed Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V on VMWare Workstation 8 and ESXi 5.0.

There is an option for virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT and AMD-V/RVI.

In VMWare Workstation 8, after enabling Intel VT-x/EPT orAMD-V/RVI for a specific virtual machine, you need to edit configuration .vmx file (of that mavirtual machine) and add the line: hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = “FALSE” at the end.

For a ESXi 5.0, configuration is a bit longer, but not complex.

I think this kind of virtualization is needed only for lab env. and testing purposes, anyway.

In production, maybe for some non-high demand services...

• Proposed as answer by Kojo1984 Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:50 PM
    • Edited by Kojo1984 Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:53 PM
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:49 PM
  • I'm sorry to say, and I don't know where you get your information from John, but I have successfully installed Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 on a Vmware Virtual machine and running a virtual machine inside the virtual Hyper-V host!

Yes, you can now, but not when this thread started.  This thread is over a year old.
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Hyper-V as a VM is not a supported scenario by Microsoft, so why would you use it in a production environment?  If you run into issues, you are on your own.
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Yes, you are on your own if you run into problem after running Hyper-v inside VMware workstation. I was just able to install Hyper-v role in Windows 2008 64-bit (SP2) on a vmware workstation 8.0.1 VM. I had several failed attempts at getting it to work on my office desktop (an HP xw8600 with Intel Xeon 5450 and 16GB RAM running Windows 7 Professional with VMware workstation 8.0.1 installed), on which i had 2 vmware ESX 4.1 servers (with VMs running on them)running on VMs. I had almost gave up until i tried it on my home desktop (an HP Pavilion desktop with AMD Athlon II 620 and 8GB RAM running Windows 7 Premium with vmware workstaion 8.0 installed), on which i had installed 2 vmware ESX 4.1 servers (with VMs running on them) running on VMs.
    I think it will helpful to mention that your CPU has to support the required Hardware-assisted Virtualization before you will be able to run Hyper-v in vmware. This was the problem I had trying to use my office desktop initially until i later found out it does not have the capability to do it. the link below was very helpful (http://www.veeam.com/blog/nesting-hyper-v-with-vmware-workstation-8-and-esxi-5.html).
    I must submit here however, that no matter how thrill you may be at the success of getting this to work, you should never think of somehow utilizing same in a production environment. This is definitely not a production worthy project, but something you can use for testing out a few features of Hyper-v or other application running on Hyper-v VMs. I incidentally stumble on this aprroach when i was looking out for a way to run an evaluation of a Citrix XenApp 5.0 virtual appliance (that was supposed to run on Virtual server 2005 R2). I could not get the virtual appliance to run on Virtual server 2005 and XenServer 5 as well, so my only option was to run it on Windows 2008 Hyper-v. Although i was able to bring up the virtual appliance on the windows 2008 x64 Hyper-v VM i had created in vmware workstation, the performance was very very horrible. To bring up the Citrix Access Management interface took almost 10 minutes (not exaggerating). This underscores my early statement that this process can not be used production (even in a testing environment, there is little you can do because of the performance issue.)
    I hope this information provides some help to someone.
    Thanks.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:12 PM
  • how did u do that? i mean, i have created a virtual machine with windows 2008 r2 64 bit, but when i am trying to install Hyper-V in that machine i am getting an error like cpu is not supported, so please help me out whats wrong in that
    Monday, May 21, 2012 2:20 PM
  • You are right, I have just installed ESX 3.5 over VMWare WorkStation 7.0 but could not manage to make Hyper-V work. :-(.

When I access the BIOS config while booting the virtual machine, the option IVT (My computer has a Intel Processor with VT enabled) is not there. 

Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:12 PM
  • of course you can , you can even install vm inside of the hyper

please follow this m tested 100% works

http://blog.srinfotec.com/?p=926

• Proposed as answer by Mado81 Monday, August 13, 2012 11:16 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Upgrade  the VMware Workstation  to 9 and which has enhanced features--Hyperv perfectly working in this

Thanks Bijesh

Monday, October 1, 2012 3:09 PM
  • http://www.veeam.com/blog/nesting-hyper-v-with-vmware-workstation-8-and-esxi-5.html

Vmware worktation can host nested esxi and hyper v.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:06 AM