What’s the Minimum Bandwidth Needed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

I have a question regards Skype for Business bandwidth requirements on a meeting (not a broadcast) that has 200 - 300 users internally invited to it.

I am not an expert so apologies in advance for he basic question but though that maybe someone who knows more about Skype for Business could pitch in with what they deem to be accurate.

Regards this (relates to server): http://lyncinsider.com/reference/calculate-bandwidth-youll-need-skype-business/

What’s the Minimum Bandwidth Needed?

According to Microsoft, the minimum bandwidth requirements for Skype for Business (Server) deployments are:

Provision the network links to support throughput of 65 kilobits per second (Kbps) per audio stream and 500 Kbps per video stream, if they are enabled, during peak usage periods. A two-way audio or video session uses two streams, so a simple audio/phone connection will require 130Kbps to cover each stream. Video will likewise use 1000 Kbps total to carry an upstream and downstream connection.

To cope with unexpected spikes in traffic and increased usage over time, Skype for Business Server media endpoints can adapt to varying network conditions and support three times the throughput for audio and video while still maintaining acceptable quality.

We don't have server, we are all cloud fro Skype for Business. Is there anything we should be aware of if we have a skype meeting booked with 200 - 300 users?

If a user at a specific site has low bandwidth does this affect others, IE only as good as the poorest connection?

Can someone please point me in the right direction or give me some best practice relating to skype meetings with hundreds of users on the call?

Thanks very much for taking the time to read and reply

Monday, September 3, 2018 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hello!

There's a Skype for Business bandwidth calculator available, it calculates both for on-prem and online deployments. You can download it on the following link: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19011

See if this could be of any help!

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, September 3, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Hi Leon.

Thanks for the reply.

I should have mentioned but I have access to that and am aware of it.

Since we are already fully deployed and working would there be a better way or any MS best practice guides you are aware of that will me help me understand the bandwidth requirements for a single call with this amount of users?

Thanks again.

Monday, September 3, 2018 11:49 AM
  • Audio calls should be possible with most internet connections, with the connections there are nowadays I don't honestly believe this is or will be an issue.

If someone has a very poor connection, it will only affect him and no one else.

To increase your bandwidth, you can close any application/browsers that is consuming bandwidth.

With a SDSL/Leased line of only 2048kbs, you can already have up to 48 concurrent calls, and I believe most companies (even smaller ones) have way more than that.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Friday, September 14, 2018 2:14 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 1:22 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Concur with Leon.

Please kindly note 250 participants are the maximum limit for a Skype for Business meeting. You could also refer to the following article for more details about bandwidth calculation.

http://lyncinsider.com/reference/calculate-bandwidth-youll-need-skype-business/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they are helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:18 AM
  • Hi Calvin.

Thanks again for the information.

Looks like it will just need to be the "Skype for Business Bandwidth Calculator" spreadsheet so will look at what that can tell me.

Yeah, I mentioned 200 - 300 and I'm aware of the 250 participants but thanks for spotting and pitching that in too.

In simple terms on - http://lyncinsider.com/reference/calculate-bandwidth-youll-need-skype-business/

It mentions "the minimum bandwidth requirements for Skype for Business (Server)" on the link that I mention in my original post. You have also quoted the same link.

I am trying to clarify if there are similar guidance for Skype for Business (Cloud) or with the fact that it is "Cloud" and not "Server" does this mean bandwidth is not a factor as long as less tahn 250 users in teh meeting?

Thanks Again.

Alan

• Edited by AlanPs1 Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:22 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:21 PM
  • Hi Alan,

The minimum bandwidth requirements for the users of online and on-premise are similar. And yes, an individual user's network condition won't affect too much on the quality of online meetings with around 200 people involved.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they are helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Friday, September 14, 2018 3:05 AM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:49 AM
  • A quick update for you all.

We have started to implement our own testing on this and we are closer to having some workable figures.

When I have them I will post them and these will bring us closer to an answer to this question.

The reason as I am asking this question is that we have found problems.

Initial reports look closer to 100 - 150 KBps 

Monday, September 17, 2018 3:10 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks for your update, please feel free to share any query during your testing. :)

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:03 AM