none
Steady State Profile Problem after ghosting image RRS feed

• Question

• I recently created a Laptop build with a restricted student account using steady state. The laptop build was working all ok and when finished i took it off our domain and ghosted off a ghost image (*.gho) to our server.

I then planned to image the remaining laptops (same spec and model) with this image, i tested one and image went down successfully and then ghostwalked it to its unique badge number. I logged on as my normal accounts and all ok but when i tested the restricted student account logging on - i initially got the background pic i set up but then that disappeared and so too all my settings. The icons were not in the same place and classic start menu had gone, run was there etc etc. Also cant save any documents etc etc which are now pointing to the docs & settings location rather than the 2nd partition i set up with docs and favorites in.

I loaded steady state in the admin account and all settings are correct and same as when left but seems the actual student profile on the system isnt working properly.

I saved the original student profile in steady state so could try importing that but not sure if it will change anything as that profile seems ok in steady state but not in windows. If i delete the local student profile and steady state one then import the steady state backup i made will all the changes be replicated inc registry tweaks etc?

Any ideas?
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:07 AM

Answers

• FYI I have solved this i believe by unlocking the account in steadystate before ghosting the image off

With the account locked - ghost walk was not correctly updating the SSID for that account and thus getting the dodgy profile when logging on. By re-imaging and not ghostwalking the laptop the student account worked fine, also tested it by re-ghosting, unlocking the steady state restricted account and then ghostwalking and it worked fine.
    • Marked as answer by jimmyca69 Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:57 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:57 PM

All replies

• FYI I have solved this i believe by unlocking the account in steadystate before ghosting the image off

With the account locked - ghost walk was not correctly updating the SSID for that account and thus getting the dodgy profile when logging on. By re-imaging and not ghostwalking the laptop the student account worked fine, also tested it by re-ghosting, unlocking the steady state restricted account and then ghostwalking and it worked fine.
    • Marked as answer by jimmyca69 Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:57 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Yes, in my experience, imaging software won't play nice with SS unless you leave the restrictions disabled, then build the image and reset the restrictions later. The only imaging program that I have seen work even with SS's restrictions enabled while ghosting was StorageCraft's ShadowProtect 3.1 - Still, better safe than sorry

Philip

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Friday, September 4, 2009 8:55 PM