none
TPM Base Services in Reference Image RRS feed

• Question

• Please help. I am a little unsure about the TPM Base Services. Bitlocker is our encryption method, but we use Dell Data Protection Encryption, (DDPE) to manage the keys.  From my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, DDPE requires the Windows service: TPM Base Services, to interact with the TPM chip.  My predecessor always used physical machines to build our reference image.  On a physical machine, the TPM Base Services was available and visible in services.msc.  I want to build our reference image in an virtual environment.  It seems that the TPM Base Services in NOT available or visible in Hyper-V or VMware.  I DO NOT want to use BitLocker in my reference image, I just want to ensure that the TPM Base Services are installed during deployment.  Will this service be available to PCs after deployment,,, or am I totally off base here.  Still building the image, will test on my own, would just like some background from people more versed in MDT and Bitlocker than I.  Thanks,,, Steve
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:11 PM

All replies

• It shouldn't matter. You should be able to safely build your base images on a VM.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:29 PM
  • As Ty mentioned it doesn't matter, because you'll be running sysprep on your VM image and then when the reference image is applied to your target computers Windows will detect the hardware and configure itself accordingly. Just make sure that your hardware has TPM enabled and activated. If you are reimaging (not upgrading) a machine that previously had keys stored in TPM, be sure to first clear them before you reimage.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:37 PM