none
Windows 8 tablet touch keyboard DISAPPEARED from login screen! RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bough an Asus VivoTab Smart running windows 8 and everything was fine up until today when at some point the touch keyboard stopped disappearing whenever i needed to log in to the tablet! its annoying to have to find the on-screen keyboard and i would like to have the touch keyboard back.

I have tried restarting many times and that does nothing, i have tried updating the driver but i cant as it says that it already has the driver up to date and that its running properly!

Any help is appreciated! thank you,

Saturday, February 2, 2013 7:12 AM

Answers

• I don't know if this will help you but it solved a similar problem I had on my Windows 8 touch PC:

If you are able to reach the Start/app tile screen or desktop and from there "view local services" which you can find by typing "services" in the Start screen scroll down the list until you come to the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" which should say "Automatic (triggered)" and "Running"

From there "right-click" that service (or otherwise get into its properties), click the "Log On" Tab, click the first option under "Log on as:" (circle button "Local System account") and make sure to Check box "Allow service to interact with desktop"

For me this box somehow became unchecked when I "Refreshed" my windows 8 to solve another issue. Once I checked the box, the keyboard started to reappear at the login screen.

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to uninstall the touch screen driver? If not, please try to uninstall it and restart the tablet and let Windows install driver automatically. If it still does not work, report back.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Sonevar Friday, August 23, 2013 9:28 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:31 AM
  • I don't know if this will help you but it solved a similar problem I had on my Windows 8 touch PC:

If you are able to reach the Start/app tile screen or desktop and from there "view local services" which you can find by typing "services" in the Start screen scroll down the list until you come to the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" which should say "Automatic (triggered)" and "Running"

From there "right-click" that service (or otherwise get into its properties), click the "Log On" Tab, click the first option under "Log on as:" (circle button "Local System account") and make sure to Check box "Allow service to interact with desktop"

For me this box somehow became unchecked when I "Refreshed" my windows 8 to solve another issue. Once I checked the box, the keyboard started to reappear at the login screen.

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:43 AM
  • I just started having this problem today for no apparent reason.  I haven't added software or changed anything that I am aware of.  Your solution above (Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service) solved my issue as well though.  Thanks.
    • Edited by hwmjr Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:17 PM
  • This happened to me on Asus VivoTab Note 8 and I used this method to correct it, thanks!

BTW: I'm running Windows 10 and it still works.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Well spotted. Ticking the box made all the difference.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 11:59 AM