Sending authenticated mail without mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Guys, I have many scripts and Linux servers that I wish to send mail from. Internally we have MS Exchange 2016 running and a single domain/forest in AD and single mail domain. The mails generated from these systems would generally only target internal users/distribution groups but also a few systems might want to send to external mail domains for support etc. So chatting to my mail admins they have stated that the only way they can do this is to whitelist the systems IP address on an SMTP relay in exchange otherwise they have to setup a mailbox for each user. Our system admins reuse IP addresses regularly for systems so this seem inherently insecure !

So, is there a way to send mail through exchange without a user mailbox but authenticate it with a username/password ?

Monday, January 27, 2020 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi

I would create a new receive connector and add the IP of the linux system to be allowed to send mail so you dont open your network and become an open relay.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by shocko-tnet Sunday, April 26, 2020 7:35 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi

I would create a new receive connector and add the IP of the linux system to be allowed to send mail so you dont open your network and become an open relay.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by shocko-tnet Sunday, April 26, 2020 7:35 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 6:54 PM
  • Like Edward Mentioned best practise is to always created reserved connector and lock down to specific ip.

you need to have mailbox in order to authenticate to send email.

https://practical365.com/exchange-server/exchange-2016-smtp-relay-connector/

Vinny | Freelancer | Azure Solutions Architect Expert| Office 365 Enterprise Administrator| Microsoft 365 Certified: Messaging Administrator Associate| ITILV3 | PMP

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:39 AM
  • Hi shocko,

Like suggested above, create a receive connector and limit IP address to receive from.

Receive Connector>Scope>Remote network settings.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:49 AM
  • Do suggestions above help? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 7, 2020 11:06 AM