none
Reporting Server Installation Fails on Account Validation RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to reinstall SCOM Reporting, but the installation fails on Account Validation page with the error: Setup could not connect to the SDK to retrieve the necessary information to validate this account.

SSRS is installed and confirmed to be working. Reporting was working for a previous version of SCOM (2012R2). Previous version has been removed and replaced by new version (2016). Removal of the reporting feature was successful, but reinstallation of the new version is proving to be a challenge.

OpsMgrSetupWizard.log extract:

[14:37:17]: Debug: :GetWebConsoleInstallState: OpsMgr Web Console is installed on this machine
    [14:37:17]: Info: :Server Installed:False  InstallingNow:False
    [14:37:17]: Error: :Could not retrieve DNS name: Threw Exception.Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException, Exception Error Code: 0x80004005, Exception.Message: No such host is known
    [14:37:17]: Error: :StackTrace:   at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
       at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
       at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Setup.Common.SetupHelpers.GetDnsName(String serverName, String& dnsName)
    [14:37:17]: Error: :Error:Could not get DNS of management server in registry.
    [14:37:17]: Always: :End: Rationalize command line arguments (first run).
    [14:37:17]: Error: :RationalizeComponents blocked because: The Management server parameter is not valid.
    [14:37:17]: Always: :End: Rationalize components.
    [14:37:17]: Error: :We could not rationalize the component choices.  We must fail.
    [14:37:17]: Always: :Begin: Property bag dump.

DNS tested and working perfectly.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hello Marina,

From the logs it seems that the setup cannot verify/resolve your SCOM management server, did you enter your management server correctly?

Are you able to resolve both DNS forwarder and reverse?

Are you using the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN)?

Example:

SCOMMS01.domain.com

Also check that no firewall is blocking the connection, you'll find the required firewall ports over here:
    Configuring a Firewall for Operations Manager

Also make sure of the following:

• SQL Server Reporting Services has been correctly installed and configured.
    • Make sure the SQL Server Agent service is running.
    • You are logged on as a administrator & SCOM Admin.
    • You can access http:\\servername\ReportServer successfully.
    • Before you continue with this procedure, ensure that the account you plan to use for the Data Warehouse Write account has SQL Server logon rights and is an Administrator on the computers hosting both the operational database and the Reporting data warehouse database. Otherwise, Setup fails, and all changes are rolled back, which might leave SQL Server Reporting Services in an inoperable state.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:58 AM
  • From the error message ("Could not get DNS of management server in registry."), it even looks like the registry key that is supposed to contain the SCOM Management Server DNS name doesn't exist...

I can't check where that registry key should be right now, though

• Edited by CyrAz Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:09 AM
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

For our isue, please check the following information: to see if the error can be fixed

1. Verify that the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases in SQL Server Management Studio are existing.
    2. Verify the correct configuration of SQL Server Reporting Services. Click Start, point to Programs, point to the appropriate offering of Microsoft SQL Server, point to Configuration Tools, and then click Reporting Services Configuration Manager. Connect to the instance on which you installed Reporting Services. In the navigation pane, select the <servername>\SQLinstance. This displays the Report Server status in the results pane. Ensure that the Report Server Status is Started. .In the navigation pane, select Scale-out Deployment, and then ensure that the Status column has the value of Joined. Also, make sure the Web Services URL and Web Portal URL are accessible.
    3. Verify SQL Server Agent service is running on the SQL server.
    4. Ensure that the account you plan to use for the Data Warehouse Write account has SQL Server logon rights and is an Administrator on the computers hosting both the operational database and the Reporting data warehouse database.
    5. Make sure ports 5723 and 5724 are not blocked.

Please check the above information and if any update, please let us know.

Best regards.

Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Hi Leon,

I have double checked all that you suggested. Everything is in order.

DNS resolution is correct and I have tried both the GUI setup (which does not ask for the Management Server info) and the command line install (which does requires MS info). The error stays the same.

It appears to be trying to get the MS info from the registery (as CyrAz also noted), but I cannot find where this info should be stored, so I cannot verify it. Any ideas?

I have searched the keys in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HealthService 
    and 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager
    but there's nothing there.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Yes, I have considered this too. But I have not idea where it is looking.

MS info does not appear in the locations I have searched:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HealthService 
    and 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager

Granted, that could mean that it should be in one of these locations, but isn't.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Hi Crystal,

I have checked all the suggestions. Everything is in order.

SCOM Reporting worked on the same instance before.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:58 AM
  • Seems I didnt look hard enough. The MS info appears to be stored here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Agent Management Groups\[ManagementGroupName]\Parent Health Services\0

In AuthenticationName and NetworkName

Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:12 AM
  • Hi Marina,

For the registry you provided, it records the management server which the agent connects. You can check if any invalid management server is existing. For reporting server, please also check the registry as below:

Hope the information can help.

Best regards.

Crystal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hello,

In case web console is installed on this machine, it usually wont ask for MS name information. So i suppose scom web console 2016 is installed on this machine.

You also mentioned that scom reporting was working fine with scom 2012 r2 and now you have uninstalled scom reporting from that server. You also mentioned that ssrs is working fine.

Have you reinstalled SSRS on this machine and are you sure that default ssrs sites are working?

-http://localhost/reports/

-http://localhost/reportserver/

You can also try resetSRS tool and then try installing OMreporting and check if it asks for MS information.

• Edited by Swati06 Friday, July 12, 2019 10:36 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 10:33 AM