none
SBS 2011 Standard Folder Redirection RRS feed

• Question

•    I am trying to get a grip on SBS 2011 Standard Folder Redirection. It is pretty straight forward with one exception. From the SBS Console if I remove a user from the folder redirection group should the redirection stop for that user and the redirected folders cease and revert to his/her local profile location?

They have that option "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed" on the individual folder GPO but is removing the user from the Redirection Group (in the SBS Console) the same as "when policy is removed". It sticks in my head in Server 2003 that once you enable redirection for a user you can never get rid of it...

Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:55 PM

Answers

• Well... I think Microsoft really needs to define "Redirect the folder back when policy is removed" and how to accomplish it. Simply removing the users from the group did not work. The GPO was no longer being enforced but it was too late. The redirection was in place. There were several suggestions on the internet none of which really worked either. The only way I was able to end folder redirection was to first remove the user from the group so it wouldn't be applied then make another GPO redirecting the folders back to the user profile for the users that had previously been redirected. Live and learn...
    • Marked as answer by Ziggy32 Monday, July 18, 2011 4:12 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi:

Easily tested, unless I miss something in your question.  Setup your senario and click the switch and observe.   Not sure that anything you read here would definately prove it one way or another on your network.  If the results of the test are not as you expect, give us the results and any errors or event logs errors you find.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Hi,

According to the Group Policy setting “Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed”, the redirected folder should be move back to the local user profile location if one user is removed from applying the Folder Redirection policy.

You may perform a test to verify it as Larry Struckmeyer mentioned.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Well... I think Microsoft really needs to define "Redirect the folder back when policy is removed" and how to accomplish it. Simply removing the users from the group did not work. The GPO was no longer being enforced but it was too late. The redirection was in place. There were several suggestions on the internet none of which really worked either. The only way I was able to end folder redirection was to first remove the user from the group so it wouldn't be applied then make another GPO redirecting the folders back to the user profile for the users that had previously been redirected. Live and learn...
    • Marked as answer by Ziggy32 Monday, July 18, 2011 4:12 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Ziggy, you have multiple posts which seem related to the same problem and posted within a short time of each other, I ask that you do not do this in future.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:53 AM