none
File Server Role in Cluster-to-Cluster Replica RRS feed

• Question

• I have an asynchronous cluster to cluster storage replica setup across a metro link and I'm replicating two volumes that are assigned to a general use file server role and providing a coupled shared folders. That role (just called "storage1", accessible at \\storage1) is working fine and the volumes are all replicating correctly.

When I set this up, the second cluster was also given the same type of role (called "storage2", accessible at \\storage2). However, when I enabled storage replica, that role disappeared. Now I'm a bit confused as to how we actually are going to go about failing from one site to the other - I had assumed it would involve a powershell command and a change in DNS to point the storage target from storage1 to storage2 and wait for clients to update, but now I'm wondering if that's actually the case. Will the entire role (and subsequently the DNS) for "storage1" be migrated to the replica site? What are the implications of the two sites losing connection ... is there any automated movement I should be aware of that may take place or trigger a split-brain scenario?

Disks at site 2 assigned to storage2 file server role:

No role actually listed at site 2 now:

Paul Hite - MCSE, MCITP

Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:12 PM

All replies

• This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.
    If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 23, 2019 7:15 AM