Can't log on Domain after Windows 10 home to pro upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• We purchased 2 laptops with windows 10 home before we established a domain at our office.  We now want to join them to our domain so we purchased the 10 pro upgrade for $100. Although we are able to join the domain from the laptops, we are unable to login / authenticate to it.  no matter what username we use, we get an "incorrect user password" error. All of the windows 10 pro <g class="gr_ gr_543 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="543" id="543">pcs</g> that we own are having no issue.  It's just the ones we upgraded from home to pro. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  How can it be solved?

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Christopher,

1. When the computer is home edition, do you join it in the domain? If yes, then, I guess that there might be some corrupted objects in the AD.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794840%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

2. >no matter what username we use, we get an "incorrect user password" error.

Can you confirm the username is actually right? Could you log in with an Admin account?

3. Also check the network connection between the computer and the DC;

4. Since WSUS forum is more related with windows update and WSUS server issues, and seems your question is more related with domain login; If the above suggestions still can't help you solve the issue, I would recommend you turn to DS forum for better help:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=winserverDS

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi Christopher,

Could the above replies be of help? If yes, you may mark useful replies as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.
    Best Regards,
    Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 1:58 AM
  • tried to turn it off an on again also doesnt help! 8)

I had the same problem yesterday, I reinstalled a laptop with a Media Creation Tool Boot Stick. Then i did the upgrade through the store from Home To Pro.  Result: no local users and groups in mmc, and error message: wrong user name or password. Nevertheless strange that the Inclusion to the domain worked perfectly. Only solution: refresh with complete data erasure

mit C64 aufgewachsen

Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:13 AM