none
language pack in a farm RRS feed

• Question

• unfortunately there is no Persian language pack in Sharepoint and project server package by defualt. so I have to buy it from some companies.since they sell their product with a flash memory which is necessary to activate language pack , we have to buy one package per server.for example we plan for a farm with 1 WFE, 1 Application server and 1 report server (sharepoint integrated) then we have to buy 3 packages while one of them is useable(WFE). all servers included in a farm must have the same features like service pack, language pack,...

what can we do?

• Edited by Sam-Net Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:44 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:24 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the wishes Sam.

1. Since they don't have knowledge about multi-tier farm, you can use this info as a discussion point to avail trial version for few months.

2.Following link can provide you more information

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210596(v=sql.105).aspx

3. If trial version is not available then you may need to deploy this in non-production environment. Instead of 3 or more server farm, you can deploy 1 WFE and 1 APP+DB+Reporting Server. After testing you can decide whether you need to purchase 1 or 1 for each server. My guess is you may need to purchase it for each server in the farm.

3. Installing the Web front-end on the report server computer is only necessary if you deploy the report server and the SharePoint technology instance on separate computers. If you install report server on SharePoint  databases on the same computer as the report server, configure the Report Server service to run under a domain account

3. Instead you may consider running report server on WFE server

4 & 5.  I think yes we can, since when we deploy configure reporting services in SharePoint integrated mode, we actually configure separate database, so if other applications can use different reporting database

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

Irrespective of which type of application you are deploying in the farm (3rd party or built-in). Please remember the thumb rule any server in the farm should be identical in terms of binaries like application, service pack, cumulative update and language pack. So if I have understood your question correctly then you have to buy package of each server in the farm although WFE is the server where user will be primarily connecting. To confirm our assumption , before purchasing the package I would recommend you to have technical discussion with the vendor's technical team. And deploy trail version in non production environment for detailed testing. Since there are many applications are available in the market from different vendors , please note if you face any issues in the farm ,  and if you approach Microsoft to troubleshooting the issue, support will be provided on best effort level since farm will be considered as unsupported and engineer may request to reproduce the issue without any 3rd party application or solution.

Hope this help.

Happy Holidays and have a great new year  ahead.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 6:27 AM
  • your assumption is totally true.I had some technical discussion with the vendor's technical team but they don't have enough knowledge about multi-tier farms and they asked us to buy several packages.

it seems there is no way,except buying several packages.

2- what are the benefits of sharepoint mode than native mode for runing report server?

3-can I consider report server as an shared service and run it in application server?

4-if I run report server as sharepoint integarated mode, is it possible for other application out of the farm(like MIS server , primavera Server ,...) to use this reports server?

5-which kind of report server installation(sharepoint mode or native mode) do you recommand considering if i want to connect other data sources out of my farms?

By the way Happy Holidays and I wish the best for you in the new year

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Thanks for the wishes Sam.

1. Since they don't have knowledge about multi-tier farm, you can use this info as a discussion point to avail trial version for few months.

2.Following link can provide you more information

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210596(v=sql.105).aspx

3. If trial version is not available then you may need to deploy this in non-production environment. Instead of 3 or more server farm, you can deploy 1 WFE and 1 APP+DB+Reporting Server. After testing you can decide whether you need to purchase 1 or 1 for each server. My guess is you may need to purchase it for each server in the farm.

3. Installing the Web front-end on the report server computer is only necessary if you deploy the report server and the SharePoint technology instance on separate computers. If you install report server on SharePoint  databases on the same computer as the report server, configure the Report Server service to run under a domain account

3. Instead you may consider running report server on WFE server

4 & 5.  I think yes we can, since when we deploy configure reporting services in SharePoint integrated mode, we actually configure separate database, so if other applications can use different reporting database

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 8:29 PM
  • "3. Instead you may consider running report server on WFE server"

since most user will use webb to connect project server and the WFE has the most load I think we'd better run report server on app server rather than WFE,what's your opinion?

and if we want run seperated report server,which on do you recommand? native or sharepoint integrated?

Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Yes you can , but considering all the service will be run from Application server, especially Search , query and Project Application service, comparatively WFE will be less utilized.

Another option for you is to deploy everything take performance counter data , compare the result and decide which server needs to be used for Reporting Services.

If you used another server then you must install SharePoint, Project and other components like CU, Service Pack and your 3rd party language pack and you have to use SharePoint Integrated mode option while configuring reporting services.( Remember its not complete SSRS instance , its only reporting database used in SSRS reports used in SharePoint.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, January 4, 2013 4:39 AM
  • could you explain more about "take performance counter data "?

is it something related to "stress test" with visual stadio? unfortunately I couldn't make it.because we have to buy virtual users package and it's not affordable for our company

Friday, January 4, 2013 7:18 AM
  • No this is not related to stress testing.

You need to use windows out of the box feature of Performance counters. Here is the link related to Project Server

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg715567(v=office.14).aspx

Here is similar link for SharePoint 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff758658(v=office.14).aspx

Hope this helps.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, January 4, 2013 7:54 AM