locked
wss error: This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your system administrator if this problem persists. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    my WSS 3.0 site was working fine last nite but since this AM I'm getting the below error when I access the site:

    Parser Error Message: This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your system administrator if this problem persists.

    Source Error:

    Line 5:  <%@ Register TagPrefix="wssuc" TagName="Welcome" src="~/_controltemplates/Welcome.ascx" %>

    And this in the event log:

    "Safe mode did not start successfully. This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your system administrator if this problem persists."

    Everything I found online points at the SP controls from the controltemplates not being configed as safe, but I do have that directory added to the safe controls section of my web.config as so:

    <SafeControl Src="~/_controltemplates/*" IncludeSubFolders="True" Safe="True" AllowRemoteDesigner="True" />

    The web.config had not been changed from before when the site worked fine.

    Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!


    Many are clever; few are wise
    Friday, February 27, 2009 9:40 PM

Answers

  • Well, I opted for an interim fix (hack). Since the internet zone was apparently unaffected, I created an intranet zone as well using windows authentication and a copy of the default zone site's virtual directory and, presto, it loads just fine in both the browser and SPD with all controls and webparts functioning as before. Since I should only need 2 zones for this web app, this may work for me long term as well. If not, I'll bite the bullet and re-create the site.

    Thanks again for you help!
    Many are clever; few are wise
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

  • Did you manually edit the web.config to add the entry?  Before I got the hang of deploying customizations I use to edit the web.config manually.  A couple of times I had something trigger a "refresh" and my customizations were removed.  Now I'm sure to use the proper deployment path so that the info gets into the config database.



    SharePoint Developer | Administrator | Evangelist -- Twitter - https://twitter.com/next_connect
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:27 PM
  •  OK, at this point I'm pretty sure my issue is caused by my last mods in SPD, since every site page I try to open in SPD now throws the dreaded soap:Server was unable to process request. ---> A Web Part or Web Form Control on this Web Part Page cannot be displayed or imported because it is not registered as safe on this site error and the default master, which does open in SPD, shows an Error Creating Control Error for every single control it contains
      

    if indeed customizing a site page in SPD caused all this, then frankly that really sucks!! If I'm using the MS office tool designated for customizing WSS pages, and I'm able to then save those customizations and them view them in IE browser w/o error, only to find that the next time I open my site ALL the freakin controls and webparts are rendered as un-safe, despite the fact the site config has them expressly and correctly designated as safe, then - again - that SUCKS. Guess I'm having a Microsoft moment here, but there it is.

    The oddest aspect of all this is that I have an extended sister site in the internet zone, and it continues to properly load all the controls and web-parts w/o error, the same ones that won't load in my browser or in SPD from the now crippled default zone site!?!

    I suspect I may have to delete and recreate the sites since long searches on the web regarding this has turned up amazingly little info, other than some other poor saps with the same apparent issue and the thread dead-ending in an unanswered plea for help.

    In any case I genuinely appreciate the help so far, and would be grateful (and try to be more gracious) for any additional clues to solve this without having to effectively start over.

    Thanks in advance!


    Many are clever; few are wise
    Monday, March 2, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Sorry for the trouble.  While I have not had this particular problem, its probably just one or two small little things creating all of the trouble.  You could simply just try to temporarily apply a different masterpage and then go back through the changes.
    SharePoint Developer | Administrator | Evangelist -- Twitter - https://twitter.com/next_connect -- Blog - http://nextconnect.blogspot.com
    Monday, March 2, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Thanks Mike and sorry for the rant. It's just been one thing after another with this project and I'm pretty burnt at this point. I'll try that and see it helps before replacing the site.

    Cheers!
    Many are clever; few are wise
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Well, I opted for an interim fix (hack). Since the internet zone was apparently unaffected, I created an intranet zone as well using windows authentication and a copy of the default zone site's virtual directory and, presto, it loads just fine in both the browser and SPD with all controls and webparts functioning as before. Since I should only need 2 zones for this web app, this may work for me long term as well. If not, I'll bite the bullet and re-create the site.

    Thanks again for you help!
    Many are clever; few are wise
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:02 PM