Desktop Error Message RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting this error message when i try to change my desktop back to the way its been for months.

""""The visual styles could not be applied.  Not enough storage is available to process this command."""""""""""

Please help. I have 3GB Ram and never use close to that. Just pretty much use the internet.    
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hi ward, this issue can be caused by several factors. I suggest you first try the following steps to troubleshoot:

Step 1: Increase virtual memory

1.       Type sysdm.cpl in Start Search and press Enter.

2.       Under Advanced tab press Settings in Performance section.

3.       Under Advanced tab, click Change.

4.       Increase virtual memory and set it two or three times as system memory.

5.       Press Set and then OK.

If the issue still occurs, please try step 2.

Step 2: Clean Boot

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:54 AM