Can't get client push to Windows 7 Machines in System Center 2012 Standalone Primary Site RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently installed System Center 2012 standalone and am having some issues.

I am unable to successfully push the client to a Windows 7 Enterprise machine. The funny thing is that I have a Windows 8 machine which worked without issue.

I followed the guide from http://windows-noob.blogspot.ca/2013/01/sccm-2012-guides.html for standalone primary to install SCCM 2012 while referencing Technet and other books.

Other information:

Windows Server 2008 R2
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
    System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1

ClientInstall - A service account given Domain Admin privileges (For now at least. I know it's probably not a good practice) to ensure that SCCM has local admin account on every machine.

I used System Discovery to a specific OU to only find intended machines in case anything screws up.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on? I realize this is probably not enough information so if you need me to attach logs or list more information let me know.

Thanks.

Kyle

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:17 PM

Answers

• Did you check if the "File & Printer Sharing" is Installed and enabled for all network profiles ?

Though the Windows firewall is off. I prefer stopping and disabling the service. Alternatively you can have Windows firewall ON but create an exception for  WMI and  File & Printer Sharing.

Regards, Manohar Pusala

Hey Manohar, Thanks for your help. I actually was able to figure it out which was partly my fault.

The first issue was that the Boundry Groups were set incorrectly. The boundary was part of a group without a selected primary site (which is my only site). 

After fixing that I installed the client to my PC with no issue. I tried to another machine and it didn't work. I realized that the intended test machine had it's firewall on which was a stupid mistake.

Thanks for your help though. I am sure going to be posting more in the future. The key was finding the log files.

Kyle

• Marked as answer by leeman2424 Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:03 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:03 PM

All replies

• Check this link for Installation Method dependencies

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682042.aspx#BKMK_prereqs_computers

Regards, Manohar Pusala

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Check this link for Installation Method dependencies

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682042.aspx#BKMK_prereqs_computers

Regards, Manohar Pusala

I've looked through this page. Bare with me please. 

Starting from "Dependencies External to Configuration Manager"

- I am using a SCCM 2012 SP1 so I shouldn't need to change IE settings. Plus I can't get it to push to Win 7 regardless.
    - Windows Installer is higher than that version by default.
    - I applied the hotfix which didn't work.
    - BITS was installed during installation.

The second section is "Dependencies External to CM and Automatically Download During Installation". Do I need to worry about dependencies that install during installation?

Management Point, Distribution Point roles were installed. Fallback status point and reporting services point are optional and I have not installed it yet.

Under the client push installation dependencies, the part that confused me is giving permissions to the site object and the collection object? I know this is probably a silly question but I am unsure. I mentioned earlier I have a ClientInstall service account as a Domain Admin. The computer client was discovered through System Discovery. I have viewed the admin share \\pcname\ADMIN$ from the standalone primary site. I am able to connect to the standalone primary site from the target computer. 

The firewalls are all off so there should not be anything blocking communication.

It doesn't look like anything should apply yet.

Hopefully I can get someone to clarify for me.

Thanks.

Kyle

Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:05 PM
  • I also do not see C:\windows\System32\ccmsetup on the target win7 machines.

Update: I do see it in \\pcname\admin$\ccmsetup\logs\ccmsetup.log

Kyle

• Edited by leeman2424 Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:16 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Did you check if the "File & Printer Sharing" is Installed and enabled for all network profiles ?

Though the Windows firewall is off. I prefer stopping and disabling the service. Alternatively you can have Windows firewall ON but create an exception for  WMI and  File & Printer Sharing.

Regards, Manohar Pusala

Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:53 PM

Regards, Manohar Pusala

Hey Manohar, Thanks for your help. I actually was able to figure it out which was partly my fault.

The first issue was that the Boundry Groups were set incorrectly. The boundary was part of a group without a selected primary site (which is my only site). 

After fixing that I installed the client to my PC with no issue. I tried to another machine and it didn't work. I realized that the intended test machine had it's firewall on which was a stupid mistake.

Thanks for your help though. I am sure going to be posting more in the future. The key was finding the log files.

Kyle

• Marked as answer by leeman2424 Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:03 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:03 PM