Microsoft edge wont work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello i recently upgraded from windows 8.1 to the new windows 10 and the upgrade went smoothly and was great however Microsoft edge just wont work what so ever i can change browser settings and it will open but if i try searching or anything all i get is a blank screen with nothing i have tested this on google chrome to make sure it isn't my internet and it wasn't it only fails to work on edge and i don't understand why.

Also when i do a search in edge i can also see a process that comes up every time i do a search in edge called "windows problem reporting"  which makes me believe even further that the browsers is messed up for some reason.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your experiences here.

Please open Settings->Update and Security->Windows Update, check to see if any updates that need to install.

Besides, check to see if any other apps have the Internet Connection, verify the DNS client Service is running and is set to start automatically under services.msc (type services.msc in search box, then it will show up).

Try the command below:

ipconfig /flushDNS

Then check to see if issue insists.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Friday, August 7, 2015 2:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Monday, August 10, 2015 9:09 AM
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 6:46 AM

All replies

• I am also having similar issues... I can't seem to find out a solution.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:29 PM
  • Me too.  Except I don't even get that message.  Nothing happens at all in Edge.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:25 AM
  • I am having the same problem with edge. It will start but then when I try to type anything in the address bar...nothing happens. Also, the mouse pointer keeps on blinking. 

From Event Log:

Faulting application name: microsoftedgecp.exe, version: 11.0.10240.16384, time stamp: 0x559f3853
    Faulting module name: EMODEL.dll, version: 11.0.10240.16397, time stamp: 0x55af11c4
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000112cb3
    Faulting process id: 0x618
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0cac689a20b62
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\microsoftedgecp.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\EMODEL.dll
    Report Id: 0ec55a72-d1b3-4096-8730-510b342317fd
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Faulting package-relative application ID: MicrosoftEdge

Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:10 PM
  • Me too please help 
    Friday, July 31, 2015 2:57 AM
  • I have this same problem, but I don't even get an error message! I put in an address and it does nothing! Also, I can't connect my phone to my computer through Bluetooth anymore. They're paired but I cant play music through t like I use too.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 7:56 AM
  • I had a similar problem and found that changing my laptop to local sign in without having to use my Microsoft account to do it cured the problem. So it must in some way conflict with Microsoft Edge 

Friday, July 31, 2015 8:51 PM
  • I managed to fix it through asking Cortana a question to search in the browser. After it opened to search the question I never had the problem again.
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 5:38 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your experiences here.

Please open Settings->Update and Security->Windows Update, check to see if any updates that need to install.

Besides, check to see if any other apps have the Internet Connection, verify the DNS client Service is running and is set to start automatically under services.msc (type services.msc in search box, then it will show up).

Try the command below:

ipconfig /flushDNS

Then check to see if issue insists.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Friday, August 7, 2015 2:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Monday, August 10, 2015 9:09 AM
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 6:46 AM
  • Thank you Michael! This work after trying so many different things.

When running the last command, first open the Command Prompt (CMD).
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 7:24 AM
  • Fixed mine too. Question is after using the Windows 10 update (from Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit) why did it do the following:

Dissable the DNS service.

Create a Network bridge with HyperV Switch, and Phone sharing (I have a standard PC with a PCIE Wifi Card dual antennae)  I did not have any HyperV machine or service running previously.  I do have an Ethernet port on the motherboard (standard Gigabyte gaming board), but nothing is plugged into it.

Take out ALL of the protocols to my WI-FI network adapter (you know client, ipv4, ipv6 and the like), leaving it as a limping along adapter that can connect but do nothing.  Probably because of the network bridge.

Log into my home WI-FI network as guest, by default, instead of at least prompting me for the password, forcing me into a guest connection instead of private connection.

Confused I was, because I was able to download updates, and even AMD CCC updates and emails but couldn't use Microsoft Edge, and only after Cortana type in gave me the option to run IE 11 (desktop app) was I able to browse to here and get the answer.  If I wasn't a savvy computer user, I'd say this update was a complete fail, just because of the 4 issues above. 

It's not a fail of course, because there are so many things it got right, such as program retention, user retention, and file retention all coming out perfectly correct.  But geese what a problem to have to solve, "NO Internet", not even to look up help and support!  Only experience gets you past that.

Friday, August 7, 2015 4:18 AM
  • Didn't help me-sorry:(
    Monday, September 28, 2015 10:09 PM
  • Hasn't helped me either. I'm on the web via Chrome browser. But Microsoft Edge suddenly doesn't work.
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Turns out Windows Update was involved after all.

I'd run the command as suggested but it didn't help. I decided to reboot one last time.

After rebooting this time I was able to access the internet via Microsoft Edge.

I noticed in Event Viewer there's an entry during this time of Windows Update downloading and installing an update.

Curiously, my Homegroup, which had been "missing," was re-connected after reboot.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 5:19 PM