none
Apply GPO

Question

• Hello ,

I have DHCP server with 2 scopes ( wireless scope & LAN Scope )

all my PCs can access the LAN and take ip address from DHCP Lan scope ( 192.168.2.x) or DHCP wireless scope (192.168.4.x)

all PCs take ip address from LAN scope it is register the ip address in the DNS so if the user disconnect from the LAN and connect to wireless it is take ip address fron wirelss scope so it will be not reachable by name cause his new ip address not register in the DNS and still the old one which taked from the LAN scope register in the DNS .

how can i solve this issue ?

my question in the above case which the pc register his ip address in the DNS with the LAN scope ip address but he actually has a new ip address from wirelss scope and he is not reachable by host name from AD if we try to ping the hostname , in this case can i deploy a package on all these PCs although they are not reachable by hostname ??????

Thanks

MCP MCSA MCSE MCT MCTS CCNA

Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:15 AM

Answers

• It's not clear from your question - how does "Apply GPO" relate to your scenario?

Group Policy Software Installation?
    If GPSI is yes, there is no "push" of packages, and, then the resolution of the client name is irrelevant, because GPSI (like all GP) is client-pull, not push at all..

If GPSI is no, are you using ConfigMgr for package deployment? If ConfigMgr is yes, also note that ConfigMgr does not really "push", it is also client-pull, so again resolution of client name is irrelevant.

Anyway, why do the client machines not re-register in DNS when they transition to wireless?
    Do you have the DNS/DDNS settings on the DHCP scope set correctly?
    Is DHCP also running on Windows Server?
    Is DHCP performing DNS registration on behalf of clients,or, are client performing DDNS registration themselves?
    If clients are attempting to perform DDNS registration themselves, is the attempt failing?
    If so, what events are recorded at the DNS relating to the failed attempt?
    Do the clients have permission to their DNS records to self-update?

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, August 21, 2016 11:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jay GuModerator Monday, September 05, 2016 6:53 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:56 AM
  • YOU are true but the DDNS working with me if the the pc is restarted or the user open cmd and apply command: ipconfig /registerdns and i have 4000 pcs how can i enforce them to do that to solve this issue or u have any suggestion please mentioned it

What is the DHCP lease duration for the wireless scope? Make it 2hours. This would cause the client to renew at 1hour, and the lease renewal will trigger a DDNS registration. So after 1hour the DNS records would be accurate.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771255(v=ws.11).aspx

or, some other suggestions:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/227de569-a64b-4ec3-90f1-f6e53ba019b6/dynamic-dns-client-settings-vs-dhcp-scope-settings?forum=winserveripamdhcpdns

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, August 21, 2016 11:15 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:25 PM

All replies

• It's not clear from your question - how does "Apply GPO" relate to your scenario?

Group Policy Software Installation?
    If GPSI is yes, there is no "push" of packages, and, then the resolution of the client name is irrelevant, because GPSI (like all GP) is client-pull, not push at all..

If GPSI is no, are you using ConfigMgr for package deployment? If ConfigMgr is yes, also note that ConfigMgr does not really "push", it is also client-pull, so again resolution of client name is irrelevant.

Anyway, why do the client machines not re-register in DNS when they transition to wireless?
    Is DHCP performing DNS registration on behalf of clients,or, are client performing DDNS registration themselves?
    If clients are attempting to perform DDNS registration themselves, is the attempt failing?

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, August 21, 2016 11:14 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:56 AM

• Anyway, why do the client machines not re-register in DNS when they transition to wireless?

YOU are true but the DDNS working with me if the the pc is restarted or the user open cmd and apply command: ipconfig /registerdns and i have 4000 pcs how can i enforce them to do that to solve this issue or u have any suggestion please mentioned it

MCP MCSA MCSE MCT MCTS CCNA

Thursday, August 18, 2016 8:21 AM
  • YOU are true but the DDNS working with me if the the pc is restarted or the user open cmd and apply command: ipconfig /registerdns and i have 4000 pcs how can i enforce them to do that to solve this issue or u have any suggestion please mentioned it

What is the DHCP lease duration for the wireless scope? Make it 2hours. This would cause the client to renew at 1hour, and the lease renewal will trigger a DDNS registration. So after 1hour the DNS records would be accurate.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771255(v=ws.11).aspx

or, some other suggestions:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/227de569-a64b-4ec3-90f1-f6e53ba019b6/dynamic-dns-client-settings-vs-dhcp-scope-settings?forum=winserveripamdhcpdns

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, August 21, 2016 11:15 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, August 21, 2016 6:57 AM