Best Practise to maintain Intranet Documents RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have a situation where I need to develop an Intranet site that has all the documents in one single place(Central Document Repository). Here we mention which Department and Sub-Department the document belongs to, along with Document properties. Now, I need to add a webpart in each department to query this 'Central Document Repository' and fetch only those documents belonging to that department and group them basedon the sub-departments.

I am thinking of Content Search Webpart. But grouping is becoming a problem and also seems to be slower.

Can anyone suggest the best method to use?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Praneeth

Monday, June 18, 2018 7:51 PM

All replies

• you might want to look at 'views' for each document repository. you can customize the user experience without having to add a search feature; which sounds plain clunky.
    Monday, June 18, 2018 8:00 PM
  • But the Resource Library and the Department pages are in different sites under one site collection

Intranet Home (Root Site Collection "/")

- Document Repository (Sub site under Site Collection "/Docrepository/")

- Department1 (Sub site under Site Collection "/Dept1/")

- Department2 (Sub site under Site Collection "/Dept2/")

- Department3 (Sub site under Site Collection "/Dept3/")

Can we still use Views, we they reside in different sites/webs ?

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Praneeth

Monday, June 18, 2018 8:18 PM
  • the good ol' razzle dazzle /chicken egg; huh.

you would need to re-do your site organization. 

Monday, June 18, 2018 8:28 PM
  • Could you please be more specific? If I have an option to re-do the architecture, what would be the right way to do?

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Praneeth

Monday, June 18, 2018 8:50 PM
  • it sounds like you are trying to hit an ISO standard and these documents are procedures needed to be accessed by everyone.

to give an accurate assessment i would need a lot more info from you; even with that info I will not walk you though how to setup a functional SP farm.

sorry bud; I'm cutting the lifeline.

Monday, June 18, 2018 9:05 PM
  • Thank you though. Thanks for your time.

Praneeth

Monday, June 18, 2018 9:17 PM