none
GPO Policy - Issue

Question

• I am little frustrated when posting this question.

What I have seen some GPO settings only apply when a computer is restarted.

Can someone please elaborate on this behavior?

Thanks,

N

Tuesday, December 09, 2014 4:11 PM

All replies

• https://4sysops.com/archives/if-group-policy-settings-don%E2%80%99t-take-effect-immediately/ some gpos need a restart
    Tuesday, December 09, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

It is because group policy is refreshed at logon and computer group policy is refreshed when ever computer restart. I am posting the link please go through this which help you a lot.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940895.aspx

Regards

Biswajeet

Tuesday, December 09, 2014 4:37 PM
  • By default, computer Group Policy is updated in the background every 90 minutes, with a random offset of 0 to 30 minutes. In addition to background updates, Group Policy for the computer is always updated when the system starts.

The question still remains the same - Why Computer Policies are not applying in refresh cycles?

Thanks,

N

Tuesday, December 09, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Some policies can only apply at startup (ex: startup scripts). This behavior is dependent on the specific Client Side Extension (CSE).

For example, group policy files preferences can apply in background refresh. Take a look here to read more about CSEs: http://deployhappiness.com/cse-processing-order-know-lsdou-learn-this-too/

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Tuesday, December 09, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Ok. I see you have a point. However, I have configured a policy setting in Administrative Template (Registry-based).

Per default configuration of GPO, the registry policy should apply in background (90 minutes). Are we saying that Administrative Templates CSE (userenv.dll) can process policy settings from Administrative Templates only when a computer restarts? 

Currently, "Registry Policy Processing" GPO setting is "Not Configured". Do I need to configure this policy so Registry-based policies apply in background?

Thanks,

N

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:58 AM
  • > Ok. I see you have a point. However, I have configured a policy setting
    > in Administrative Template (Registry-based).

And how do you verify that it is not applied during background refresh?

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:21 PM
  • We applied a GPO policy "Restrict Internet Communication". More info. can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457143.aspx"

Out of 14000 desktops, 400 desktops are yet to receive this policy. It is because these desktops have not been restarted yet. I checked on the one of the desktops to see if I could see an Event for background processing but to no avail.

Thanks,

N

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:41 PM
  • > is because these desktops have not been restarted yet. I checked on the
    > one of the desktops to see if I could see an Event for background
    > processing but to no avail.

Did you by chance disable background processing?
    Or set it to a really long interval?

Martin

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:07 PM
  • As far as I know, we didn't do anything with the default settings. In fact, that is what I am wanted know. Since there are several settings I can see on "background refresh", I would like to know what "Registry Policy Processing" policy setting is all about. Would that need to be enabled for background processing to work for registry-based policy settings?

Nowhere at MS documentation says that "Not Configured" "Registry Policy Processing" actually disables the background processing!?! 

Thanks

N

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:41 PM
  • > Nowhere at MS documentation says that "Not Configured" "Registry Policy
    > Processing" actually disables the background processing!?!

No, it doesn't.

Martin

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:10 PM
  • So then do we see any solution to this problem? 

Thanks,

N

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:18 PM