Anywya to set a random offset for patches to install but still be able to set the day? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

For our servers, we have things install patches at 3AM on Saturdays.  However, our Netapp device sometimes gets overloaded if dozens of machines start rebooting at the same time.  Is there any way still have patches only install on Saturday morning but to have any sort of random offset so patches go to anywhere from 3AM - 5AM or something like that?

I know there is the GPO setting to use the Maintenance Window but that seems to not have a way to define the Day of Week.  I can set the time, and I can set the random delay, but then that takes effect every day which is not what we want.

Thanks.

Friday, June 2, 2017 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    As far as I know, there is no built-in method to set random offset for patches, you could set different WSUS AU schedules for different computers, or please manually set the different time in the scheduled tasks to reboot computers.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Friday, June 9, 2017 11:30 AM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:27 AM