SP 2010 Document Library Permission Issues - Full Control Access is the only way to give access... RRS feed

• Question

• I thought I knew how site and document permissions worked, but I'm very confused on a site that I'm helping with.  I was asked to give Alex permissions to upload documents to a document library within a site.  So I added Alex to the Site directly giving her Read access.  Then in the document library (which is disinherited), I added her with contribute access.  Sent her the link to the document library, and she gets access denied message.

I had her go to the site itself, and she can get to the site just not the library.  For fun, I gave her contribute access on the site level, and that didn't help.  On the site level, I go to Site Permissions, she's listed with Limited Access, Contribute.  I click on check permissions, and it says the same thing: Limited Access, Contribute, given directly. 

I go to the document library and document library permissions, and she shows as Contribute.  I do check permissions, and it says Contribute, given directly.  She still can't access it.  So on the document library, I give her Full Control, and then she get to the document library.

This is happening on several document libraries.  The only way for people to even view the content in the libraries is for me to give them Full Control on the library.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:47 PM

Answers

• Ok, it turned out that someone had modified the actual permissions of contribute, read-only, etc.  So by giving them contribute access, they weren't really getting normal contribute access (edit, delete, etc).
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:32 PM