Outlook does not recognize attachment extensions for App-V applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have several programs running in App-V such as Adobe Professional and SAP which are not being recognized by Outlook 2010.  These programs are working perfectly within Windows and when program links or file extensions are accessed from Internet Explorer, however attachments for these programs will not open from Outlook 2010 unless downloaded.  Outlook can see the attachment, however the icon is the default/generic windows "program unknown" icon.  When I try to open the attachment it does not recognize the extension (.pdf or .sap) even though the rest of Windows does.  I've tried to path it to the App-V client, but get an error message.  

Is there some trust or security setting in Outlook that is preventing it from seeing App-V?   Outlook is installed locally, so it seems strange that the rest of Windows would work with App-V, but Outlook would not.

Thanks,

Brad

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:32 PM

Answers

• I was able to get the issue resolved.  The problem appears to be that the client wasn't updating with the proper file extensions from the server.  I removed the Adobe Professional and SAP packages from my management server, then logged into my client machine and deleted the packages manually there.  I then re-added the packages on the server, ensuring that the extensions were there before I enabled it.  I went back to the client machine and refreshed the packages and saw the new ones start to load again from 0%.  This time when they finished, the file extensions appeared in Outlook.  I suspect that the extensions didn't come down the first time, as they were added after the packages were initally created and the cached settings for the packages were not updating for some reason.

Thanks for all of your help.  At least it appears that this wasn't a real issue, just a configuration one.

Brad

• Marked as answer by BradK77 Friday, December 3, 2010 12:25 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What does Outlook 2010 try to open the attachments with ?

/Znack
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Does this issue occur for all users on all machines?
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Outlook launches the window to choose a program to open the extension with.  Since the programs (SAP and Adobe Pro) are virtualized, you can't select them from the list of available programs. 

It happens for all users on all machines, however it is the same image (we're just rolling it out) so that is expected. 

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Hello,

Are the App-V FTAs set per machine or per user?

/Znack

/Znack
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:39 PM
  • I was able to get the issue resolved.  The problem appears to be that the client wasn't updating with the proper file extensions from the server.  I removed the Adobe Professional and SAP packages from my management server, then logged into my client machine and deleted the packages manually there.  I then re-added the packages on the server, ensuring that the extensions were there before I enabled it.  I went back to the client machine and refreshed the packages and saw the new ones start to load again from 0%.  This time when they finished, the file extensions appeared in Outlook.  I suspect that the extensions didn't come down the first time, as they were added after the packages were initally created and the cached settings for the packages were not updating for some reason.

Thanks for all of your help.  At least it appears that this wasn't a real issue, just a configuration one.

Brad

• Marked as answer by BradK77 Friday, December 3, 2010 12:25 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:25 PM