none
Protecting two Sharepoint farms. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have two sharepoint farms i am trying to protect.

Protection set up for first farm as described her: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441708.aspx

After setup i am able to choose the sharepoint farm in the PG, and backup works fine.

Then setting up protection for second farm, same way as first farm.

When modifying PG, not possible to choose second farm (on the WFE server). No icon for Sharepoint  shown on WFE server.

Error messages recived indicates that dpm see these two farms as one farm....

If i modify the PG, removing the first farm, i am able to choose second farm. Not possible to protect two sharepoint farms on same dmp server

Temporary i had two dpm servers, and i proteced the sharepoint farms on two different dpm servers. That worked fine.

So i guess i have done most of the config right.

But two dpm servers was only temporay, i am back to one now.

My two sharepoint farms are not using the same server(s) for any function.

Some databases on the farms have the same name, could that be a problem?

So the question is, how to protect two sharepoint farms from one dpm server?

My system is: DPM2010, sharepoint 2010, windows server 2008.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:37 AM

Answers

• I have looked over this thread and am concerned with this.  I am going to try to reproduce this in a lab.  Based on that, I will look for alternatives and also get this up so our program group knows about the issue and can look into possible solutions as well.  I will post my findings here, but based on what I'm reading, it seems like there is really just one solution.

You will need to change the instance name for one of the SharePoint farms so that it is different.  As Arthur posted previously, if he had two different instance names, protection worked.  I am not sure how much work it would be to move the databases to a different instance, but after doing that, you could probably just create an alias on that WFE server and point it to the new instance name.  This way you don't have to do any manipulation in SharePoint.

I will try that in my environment as well and post my findings on here.

Thanks, Chris - [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

I am interested in your findings on this Chris.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Marked as answer by Roar 66 Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:58 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have not setup this scenario myself but I have a question. Have you tried placing the protection of each farm in different protection groups? For example FARM A in PGA and FARMB in PGB.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:34 AM
  • I seem to have the same issue. Trying to protect two farms on one DPM server does not seem to work. It is worth mentioning that one farm is the so called Authoring environment and the other farm the so called Staging environment. We are using this setup to perform content deployment according to best practices (Authoring -> Staging -> Publishing) and to have a control environment (Staging) before content is being published to the Publishing production servers which reside in the DMZ.

Because of this setup, all content databases in the farms do have exactly the same name as well. I will continue to look into this matter and if I find something I will post it here. Using different protection groups does not work for me.

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Hi, I have collected some more information. For me it looks like setting up two different farms with one DPM server does not work if the sql server instance and the config DB's do have the same syntax in DPM, yet they reside on different servers.

Testing scenario. SQL Acceptance Server = S2917P with two SQL instances, MOSSA and MOSSS

MOSSA = SQL instance Authoring Farm environment
    MOSSS = SQL instance Staging Farm environment

So two different farms in total. Config DB Syntax in DPM for the WFE servers S2918P (Authoring farm) and S2919P (Staging farm):

Sharepoint Farm\MOSSA\WFE_ConfigDB
    Sharepoint Farm\MOSSS\WFE_ConfigDB

This does work and I can setup two farms in the same protection group.

The scenario below does not work:

Testing scenario.

SQL Server Production = S2923P with SQL instance MOSSA (Authoring farm production environment)
    SQL Server Acceptance = S2917P with SQL instance MOSSA (Authoring farm acceptance environment)

Also, two different farms in total.

Config DB Syntax in DPM for the WFE Acceptance authoring server S2918P

Config DB Syntax in DPM for the WFE Production authoring server S2924P

they both do have exactly the same syntax, yet they reside on different servers. When setting up the sharepoint protection for the server S2918P first, I can see the sharepoint node in DPM for the server S2918P but not for S2924P.
    When setting up the sharepoint protection for the server S2924P first, I can see the sharepoint node in DPM for the server S2924P but not for S2918P.

Is this behaviour by design?

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

I have not setup this scenario myself but I have a question. Have you tried placing the protection of each farm in different protection groups? For example FARM A in PGA and FARMB in PGB.

Hi.

Yes i have tried that, but same problem.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:03 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue with SharePoint 2013 and DPM 2012 SP1.  This is for a customer of mine and we are in the process of upgrading from SP2010 to SP2013 so I need to backup two farms.    As a work around for now, I'm backing up my critical SP2013 DB's, WSS_Content_<name> and services on the SQL DPM PG.  I'm also utilizing SQL Maint Plan backup for SP2013.

Matt

Matt Engibous

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:59 PM
  • Hi.

Status on my case is that i am backing up my 2 SP farms to two diferrent dpm servers.

That seems to be the best solution until we can work this out.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:36 PM
  • I have looked over this thread and am concerned with this.  I am going to try to reproduce this in a lab.  Based on that, I will look for alternatives and also get this up so our program group knows about the issue and can look into possible solutions as well.  I will post my findings here, but based on what I'm reading, it seems like there is really just one solution.

You will need to change the instance name for one of the SharePoint farms so that it is different.  As Arthur posted previously, if he had two different instance names, protection worked.  I am not sure how much work it would be to move the databases to a different instance, but after doing that, you could probably just create an alias on that WFE server and point it to the new instance name.  This way you don't have to do any manipulation in SharePoint.

Thanks, Chris - [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:48 PM

I am interested in your findings on this Chris.

• Marked as answer by Roar 66 Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:58 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 3:43 PM